Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:29 AM   #11

Nice captures, everyone. I didn't even attempt it. We currently have a driveway of ice and I didn't want to venture out on that. Wish I could have.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:06 AM   #12

I am glad I started this thread but... after seeing the other images perhaps I should have left mine off. There are some wonderful images here, I should have used a tripod, a lower ISO and bracketed exposures.

BTW does anyone have an answer to my question about the really ugly files I was getting as the evening progressed? Part of the reason I had no images of the total eclipse was due to the fact that I was getting "problem" images by that point. The camera worked fine inside.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:27 AM   #13

South Florida View.

Sky was full of moisture so shots were not as clear as other Moon shots I have taken. Tried two lenses with same results.Clouds totaly covered after full eclipse so I could not catch uncovering.

K10D, Tokina 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 with Kenco 1.5X TC,

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:31 AM   #14

IRA - Interesting. I am assuming you were useing Ni-MH batteries. I know I have had trouble before with them in cold weather before. Maybe the voltage was low because of the cold. I have used Eveready Lithiums in cold weather and they work fine, so you may be on to something there. I have not had the problem you had last night though, just the camera wouldn't turn on. It worked fine once I switched to Lithiums

Our astronomy club hada large crowd for the eclipse at one of the local parks. It was kind of cloudy, but we got some periods of clearing during totality that the moon showed some rusty color. Because of everything going on, I didn't bring my camera- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:33 AM   #15

Congrats to all for excellent shots. I wanted badly to shoot it, but solid cloud cover in Arkansas.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:46 AM   #16

bper wrote:
Quote:
IRA - Interesting. I am assuming you were useing Ni-MH batteries. I know I have had trouble before with them in cold weather before. Maybe the voltage was low because of the cold. I have used Eveready Lithiums in cold weather and they work fine, so you may be on to something there. I have not had the problem you had last night though, just the camera wouldn't turn on. It worked fine once I switched to Lithiums

Our astronomy club hada large crowd for the eclipse at one of the local parks. It was kind of cloudy, but we got some periods of clearing during totality that the moon showed some rusty color. Because of everything going on, I didn't bring my camera- Bruce
Thanks Bruce, that may be it, I hadn't thought of that.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:11 AM   #17

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Congrats to all for excellent shots. I wanted badly to shoot it, but solid cloud cover in Arkansas.
more is on it's way..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:35 PM   #18

The cloud cover was thick but intermitent here in central FL. I had good viewing for the beginning and again as it neared totality. These were with the K10d, Tamron adaptall 300 f/2.8 and 2x t/c. I thought I had the 1.4x on it and did not realize until afterwards it was the 2x. Tripod mounted and shot in raw.

Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:36 PM   #19

Second one:
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 2:00 PM   #20

In Hawaii the moonrise occured at partial eclipse. Since I just got the bigma I figured I'd give it a try. I got set up late but I think I caught the tail end of the preumbra eclipse.

This is a shot from the previous night. The color was very different and there was no shadowing. That's why I think I caught the preumbra.

bruder is offline   Reply With Quote