Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:27 PM   #1

I few weeks ago I moved my wastepaper basket and found this below. I let it go outside and took a picture.

Then two nights ago I was walking through the kitchen, stepped on another, and was bitten on the foot. It took a few minutes for the toxin to take affect. It was very painful. I used ice for a few hours and eventually the pain subsided with no swelling.

We see centipedes a few times a week. After living here for 36 months this is the first bite. Now I'm planning to caulk all the baseboards.

bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:50 PM   #2

Hi bruder,

I'm not too squeemish about insects, but guys like that look to be a whole different class of "getmetheh*llouttahere" for me! If I found one in my house, I'd be emptying my wastebaskets with a baseball bat in the other hand from then on.:-)

Nice capture, BTW, though not exactly something I'w want to hang on my wall. . .:shock:

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:34 PM   #3

But it is beautiful...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:44 PM   #4

The memories this brings back. I remember the centipede as a young boy as well as those flying cockroaches, big mosquitoes and termites. I enjoyed watching the geckos come outat nightonto the screen door and windows and eat up those termites.

Mahalo Plenty,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:46 PM   #5

Hey Bruder! Nice shot! It reminds of something that lurks in the back of my tackle box...bought it years ago & can't figure out what to try to catch with it. With the looks of that thing, something BIG (& tasty) would just love to bite into it....on the end of a hook that is!

Thanks for sharing & beware of those trashcans!!!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:59 AM   #6

Those are nasty biters, in this case bruder biters, but they are colorful! When we lived in Thailand I saw a guy who had taken out the stingers or teeth or whatever they are and had the thing wrapped around his wrist like a bracelet! Interesting if not a bit disconcerting! Hope you don't have any more close encounters!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:08 AM   #7

Not many things give me the willies but centipededs and millipedes do it every time.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:59 PM   #8

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
I'd be emptying my wastebaskets with a baseball bat in the other hand from then on.
Scott
Hi Scott, these creatures have a few features that make them terrifying: they are venomous, nocturnal, very fast crawlers, can excape capture easily by scurrying under the baseboards, and they are very difficult to kill because they are so flat. You can stamp on one with your shoes on and nothing happens. I don't think a baseball bat would do it. Our place is all tile and after a lot of experimentation we arrived at the following method -- take the Columbia Encylopedia and drop it from a height of at least four feet directly onto the creature. That usually does the trick. --John
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:01 PM   #9

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Hey Bruder! Nice shot! It reminds of something that lurks in the back of my tackle box...bought it years ago & can't figure out what to try to catch with it. With the looks of that thing, something BIG (& tasty) would just love to bite into it....on the end of a hook that is!

Thanks for sharing & beware of those trashcans!!!
Ron
Hi Ron -- I wish we knew of more preditors since these are really a problem. Chickens are one, but we don't want to deal with their mess. --John
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:03 PM   #10

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Hope you don't have any more close encounters!

Me too! I need to get busy with the caulking and we'll see if that helps. At a minimum it should eliminate their escape routes.