Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1

It's been a bit wet recently so at lunch (when it was dry) I went looking for raindrops. I thought this one came out nicely.

K10, Viv 105mm macro, wireless flash off-camera.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:19 PM   #2

Very cool, Harriet. I like it!
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:49 PM   #3

Thanks, Patty. Here's another two - I found a spider web, too. I'm not so sure about them, though. I think the earlier series I took of raindrops on a spider web were better. Part of my problem today is that I took these at lunch, in the botanical gardens near my office, and didn't even have a monopod (what I used the last time I tried this). I was stooped down, trying to hold a flash in one hand and the camera in the other. I was also wearing white pants, so was rather reluctant to put a knee down for extra support. It was difficult to push the shutter exactly when my swaying had the drop perfectly in focus. I'm surprised any of them came out at all.

And a bit closer. These really are sort-of a guessing game because the drops are so small. But they are fun and satisfying, when things go right.

Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4

These are all good Harriet...but I love the rich color in No. 1!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:28 AM   #5

Hi Harriet,

My favorite is #1. I like it when the droplets act as little lenses and give a focused image of the otherwise nicely OOF background.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:15 AM   #6

I like the first one best also. I am assuming the flash was off to the right? Focus is perfect and composition is nice. Its a good lensin the hands of a good photographer!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:38 PM   #7

I've been trying to get reflections in the raindrops. I think the flash was to the left- I usually hold the camera in my right because of the shutter, then hold the flash in my left. The K10 is really too heavy for me to do this very much - it irritates my elbow problem. But its sometimes the only way to capture what I want. It would be much easier with a tripod or even a monopod. Somehow I just can't see myself carrying one to work every day, like I do the camera.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:00 PM   #8

These other two are interesting, but I still like the first one better, Harriet. It makes you want to look at every detail.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that struggles with "preparing" for a shot. Sometimes I know exactly where I need to be to get the shot I envision, but my body won't let me do it. Wish I'd gotten more into this when I was younger and with a more nimble body.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:57 AM   #9

Awesome work, once again, Harriet. The clarity and composition on these are absolutely great. I love Macro photography anyway, and shots like these remind me why I like this power of the camera so much.

I recently ordered a three stage macro extension tube for the K 100 D (actually it arrived on Friday), so hopefully I'll have some macros to add to the forum over the next while. I wouldn't look for any outdoor water shots for a while , though. We're still in the thick of winter here and spring is stilla few weeks off . Still pretty cold outside yet.

Hopefully I'll have some melting snow/ emerging flowers to show off in a few "short" weeks. Until then....more winter

Thanks

Brian

goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:41 AM   #10

You're taking us to a new world, Harriet. Amazing! I'm not sure if #1 or#2 is my favourite.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote