Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:14 AM   #1

Mainly outdoor wild photography I am interested in, have the kit lense Sigma 18-55 mm, anybody can suggest me lense range upto 300mm ?

Is there anyway a lense made for specifid brand can be used in different brand of camera? any converter/adapter available to do that? In future I will try to buy nikon brand if I can afford, so wondering the lense I will buy now can be used on that future nikon?

Thanks
Shalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:07 AM   #2

I don't think you can do that. There are some adapters from one camera make to another, but I don't know how well they work. You really need to decide on a brand and then stick with it. The lenses will end up costing more than the body anyway, so you need to decide which set of lenses you want to be investing in. By the way Pentax is the only manufacturer that has made their cameras in such a way that allows them to use lenses from when they first started using a bayonet mount. In fact with an adapter you can use some old screw mount lenses. Pentax, like Canon and Nikon, makes some very nice lenses and since you can find some old ones on sale on ebay you can sometimes pick up a used one at a good price. Sigma and Tamron make some very nice longer zooms but once you get outpast 300mmyou are going to see a sharp rise in the price. Finally if you are going to go to Nikon later on, I wouldn't buy anymore Pentax lenses.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:06 PM   #3

Lyrics, thanks for your input. Actually I am waiting another year before I spend $$ to buy a Nikon D300 or similar featured model. So I guess I will need a good zoom lense to practice and improve my skills.

As it seems that cross platform lense is not easy to implement, I will go for good quality lense. which would cover my need with descent quality. Any suggestion?

Can I request you to post your reply here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

Am sorry that I created similar thread here after waiting for a while of unresponsive moments.

Moderators Can this topic be merged into http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

Cheers
Shalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:49 AM   #4

Shalvi, I can't think of anything to add to the posts you already have on the other thread. All the lenses mentioned there would be good!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5

I'm using a Takumar 70-200 on my K 100D and I'm really pleased with the results that I'm seeing. Really nice lens.

Here's a sample of what this lens can do

goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:20 AM   #6

Tamron Adapatall mount lenses may work for what you are looking for. I would say go ahead and buy Pentax lenses even if you plan to switch to Nikon. The resale market for Pentax glass is pretty healthy.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote