Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Well, this is interesting. Apparently Popular Photography used the Pentax K10D's focus test information verbatim in the K20D review. To make matters worse the focus test information was from the 1.0 firmware for the K10D and not the latest one which has some improvements.

If your interested you can read about here on Pop Photo's own forums.

http://forums.popphoto.com/camera/bo...hread.id=16705

Scroll down to the sixth post I believe it is for Pop Photo's admission...

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:59 PM   #2

I wouldn't say it was faked, but rather they copied the data from the K10D results, which is fair since it uses the same AF system.
However, if it's true the K10D was tested with v1.0 fimrware then that's just plain stupid. They should properly test the K20D with it's latest firmware.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:10 PM   #3

The firmware version for the K10D was 1.0. They have one of the first reviews out, long before we saw any firmware updates. Personally, I think this is fake, they are using data from a different camera for a new camera. One that I would like to point out has had the few that have the camera (that they bought) saying the AF is better in the 20 than the 10.

Had they at least said that they used the K10D number it would have been honest. But, this is easy shire lazyness or sloppy. Either way they didn't bother to test the K20D for AF, they faked the information.

I will keep my subscription but their reviews as far as I am concered are not to be trusted. If they misrepresent something this important what other corners are they cutting for reviews.

I would also like to know if they would consider doing this for a Canon or Nikon. I bet not.

Robert
Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:02 PM   #4

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
Had they at least said that they used the K10D number it would have been honest. But, this is easy shire lazyness or sloppy. Either way they didn't bother to test the K20D for AF, they faked the information.

I will keep my subscription but their reviews as far as I am concered are not to be trusted. If they misrepresent something this important what other corners are they cutting for reviews.

I would also like to know if they would consider doing this for a Canon or Nikon. I bet not.

Robert
Hi Robert,

I agree that the the review is severely tainted by the bogus data. They not only copied the K10 data, but they copied it incorrectly.

I must say that Pentax is, in a way, partially at fault, as their AF system naming convention could be better. They continue to call the present system just SAFOX VIII, despite obvious tweaks to the performance since it was first introduced -- they could use something like SAFOX VIII v 1.3, for example, to point to an algorithm change that improves performance, even if the upgrade is minor, and the hardware hasn't changed.

I also think that by not mentioning the 20 FPS 1.6 MP burst mode (an albeit very short duration, almost HD video-like mode in a DSLR), the Extended Dynamic Range mode, one-touch exposure bracketing for easier HDR, multi exposure mode, and the built in intervalometer, they missed a number of potentially useful features that help set this model apart in its price class.

The 20 FPS burst mode interests me, not because I want a video cam, but because of what it might bode for the future. I think that, with some development, we might see something like a 6-8 MP, 10 FPS burst mode sometime in the near future, and unlike the machinegun-like high-rate continuous shot modes of the pro DSLRs, it's almost silent because the mirror isn't flapping up and down.

The lack of focus correction during the burst wouldn't adversely effect a lot of situations (if the subject movement stays within the original focus plane), like shooting a golfer's or batter's swing, a pitcher's motion, or in my case, a heron lunging to catch its lunch. I predict that we will soon start seeing some spectacular sports and action shots where the precisely right "moment" in a sequence is caught pretty easily by Pentax K20 shooters (even with MF lenses), not to mention the potential to put together a number of smaller dimensioned prints into a great action sequence collage -- and I'm thinking that even Tiger Woods might not find the sound disturbing.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:22 PM   #5

Well, the main thing is that people know that the data in the review is from the K10D. At least then they can decide if it is an issue for them. Myself I am happy with the AF on the K10D and so if the K20D is improved even a small amount great.

My big complaint is that they should have been up front with what they did and of course copy the data correctly. This is a black eye for Pop Photo at least in my book.

Robert
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:23 PM   #6
PDL

Herb Kepler is spinning in his grave.

POPPhoto owes Pentax a front page apology.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:25 PM   #7

I agree that this kind of review for any camera is a total disservice to any consumer that is trying to decide on what is out there up and coming that may fit or suit their preferences and/or needs.

This being a (once) trusted source of review information makes for bad press for an otherwise impressive offering by Pentax. I am going to wait further on what this camera really has to offer but my guess is it will be turning out some impressive results. It may not have the FPS as the other makes have but I believe the keeper ratio rate will be quite high in comparison.

Time will tell.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:11 PM   #8

You will have to admit that this was one of the speediest reviews to appear of a new camera - maybe they were trying to save time to make a short deadline and be the first off the blocks with a review of a camera they were impressed with (but not really familiar enough with yet)! A short-cut like that hurts their credibility more than an admission up front would have done. With the newer people thay have had doing reviews for a while now, I have noticed a number of mistakes that seemed to have been the result of a lack ofthorough familiarity with the cameras - I don't think they spend as much time working with the cameras as theprevious reviewers did.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote