Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:18 AM   #1

A couple of weeks I went back to my home in Corner Brook, NL to do some downhill skiing at the Marble Mountain Ski Resortand to spend some time with my parents who still live there.

While there, I did a couple of shots of the famous landmark, locatedamile or so frommy parent's house called the "Man in the Mountain". This natural rock formation forms the face of a man's face. He looks down at the Humber River over an Island called Shellbird Island. While there's all sorts of legend about pirates and hidden gold on the island from centuries back, the really interesting part of this formation is watching tourists struggle to see it. Once you've found it, though it becomes super easy. You'll wonder how people miss it

Ok, now for the test.....

Here's three pictures. One from far off, one from close up, and one of the island below simply because it's a nice picture and puts everything else in perspective.

I want to know who can actually find the man's face.

Here's a hint. The "V" in the mountain will frame out his beard, Look up from there to find his chin, nose and eye. Further up will show the pointy wool cap, and then his ear to the left. As I said, once you find him it's hard to miss after that.

Good Luck and let me know your luck

Brian

goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:49 AM   #2

Got it! Wouldn't have been able to if not for your hint. I'm usually one of those that can't see stufflike that. Although, I normally see things in clouds that others don't... guess that's just how my peebrain operates.:G

Thanks for sharing, Brian! Looks to be a beautiful area!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:11 PM   #3

oh i see it now. i was thinking the whole side of the mountain made the face, but once i narrowed it down... viola, there he is!

thanks for sharing, that was pretty cool!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:43 PM   #4

@ Ron: Believe me you're not the only one :G

Oh! It took me many a distracting seated goblins, frightened or frighteningfaces, etc. to see that man's face!!

Btw, such a neat and beautiful piece of landscape foroutdoor sports and photography!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:54 PM   #5

Ha! Got him!

Thanks for sharing... I was trying to see the man's face in the whole picture, but it's only a very small part of it!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:37 PM   #6

How is it that I see three faces?:?A larger, left facing flat profile (in shadow)just above and a bit to the right of the one you describe, and a smaller, right facing raised one (in sun) to the left of yours (might only be visible in the present lighting). Will the real face please stand up? :roll:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:41 AM   #7

His pose in profilereminds meone of the Disney's Seven Dwarfs!andhe's actually looking down
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:39 AM   #8

Excellent power of observation from you all. This is one of western Newfoundland and Labrador's most famous landmarks. I love this part of the Province as it's where I grew up and to me it's one of the most beautiful places that you'll see anywhere.

I'll try and post more from this area as the weeks go by

Brian
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:23 AM   #9

I admit, he had to project it onto a white board and draw in the details before I could see it.

I guess I am imagination-impaired.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:51 AM   #10

But, Ira, you must admit that after I projected at 4 feet by 4 feet and traced it out with a marker, you were able to see it clearly.

....but then again, you can practically see this thing from Mom and Dad's front steps. I would imagine that I've looked at this formation more than most.

By the way, the close up was taken with the Takumar 70 - 200 (formerly known as Ira's Takumar 70-200), using the door of my father's Toyota Rav 4 as a steadying device, taken on full zoom with shake reduction engaged on the K100D on a rather cold day.

I love this camera, and that lens !

Incidentally, if any of you ever come to Newfoundland this area of western Newfoundland is a photographers paradise. Even if it is my home, there's so much to see and capture in the area surrounding here. It's A vacation well worth taking sometime. Ira, I'm sure that you'll agree with this as well. An hour's drive east, west or north of here will fill memory chips as fast as you can put them in the camera.

Brian