Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:52 AM   #1

Winter has been on the mild side, although we are expecting a winter storm tomorrow, this creek should be frozen over:

And the little wild critters are obedient too.

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2

Very nice. I'm glad they taught the little critters to read! The thing about the mild weather is when it does turn, it can be gawdawful!

I am from North Tonawanda, originally. I have a brother that still lives there!
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3

Driver3, Thanks.

I grew up in the Town of Tonawanda, and even lived in NT for a few years. I'm still in the same general area - West Amherst near Ellicott Creek Park.

Jim
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:54 PM   #4

Love the pictures - hope you continue to have a relatively mild winter. I think our winter is over - we had two weeks of it, but it seems like everything, especially in Los Angeles and the foothills, has turned green and budded out. Can't decide if I'm disappointed or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:10 PM   #5

nice shots.
i've been in shorts all day.. it's kind of scary.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:41 PM   #6

Thanks, mtngal and Roy

Shorts? We packed those away in storage totes at the end of September. Maybe we'll dig them out around May 1st instead of Memorial Day this year. A mild winter up here is less than 80" of snow and not too many days below 20 degrees (F).

The forecast for tomorrow is wintry mix followed by12 inches of snow. Wintry mix is rain, turning to freezing rain and sleet, and then the snow. It will make for an interesting commute home in the afternoon; to the tune of Paul Simon's "Slip Slidin' Away".
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:52 PM   #7

Very nice images, melancholy and beauty.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:21 PM   #8

A200user,

I am an Amherstian also, so I know just what you mean. Some nice captures, by the way, and I know that you (just as myself) are waiting for much more pleasant weather by which to pair along with our 'sidekicks' (cameras :-)). Mayye we'll cross each other's path, one day.

Blessings,
Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:15 PM   #9

NLAlston wrote:
Quote:
A200user,

I am an Amherstian also, so I know just what you mean. Some nice captures, by the way, and I know that you (just as myself) are waiting for much more pleasant weather by which to pair along with our 'sidekicks' (cameras :-)). Mayye we'll cross each other's path, one day.

Blessings,
Nathan
Nathan,

Hi neighbor! Thanks for the response. I took a peek at your profile, it looks like you shoot with Nikon? I'm relatively new to this dSLR stuff. Yes, I'm chomping at the bit for some nice weather. I aquired a Tamron 70-300 LD Di in the fall and just picked up a Pentax 50mm f1.4 and haven't had much use with them outdoors yet. Where do you like to shoot locally? I like the Amherst bike trail along Ellicott Creek, Akron Park, Glenn Park Falls in Williamsville, Forest Lawn Cemetery. My interests are similar, God (attend Eastern Hills Wesleyan), Family, digital photgraphy.

Jim
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:09 PM   #10

a200user wrote:
Quote:
NLAlston wrote:
Quote:
A200user,

Blessings,
Nathan
Nathan,

Hi neighbor! Thanks for the response. I took a peek at your profile, it looks like you shoot with Nikon? I'm relatively new to this dSLR stuff. Yes, I'm chomping at the bit for some nice weather. I aquired a Tamron 70-300 LD Di in the fall and just picked up a Pentax 50mm f1.4 and haven't had much use with them outdoors yet. Where do you like to shoot locally? I like the Amherst bike trail along Ellicott Creek, Akron Park, Glenn Park Falls in Williamsville, Forest Lawn Cemetery. My interests are similar, God (attend Eastern Hills Wesleyan), Family, digital photgraphy.

Jim
Hey there, Jim ~

I was blessed with the Nikon D300, earlier this month, and have to say that it is much more camera than I, presently, know what to do with :-). But I knew this, beforehand, and went ahead with the purchase because of wanting something that I thought would handle low-light & night shootings a little better. The knowledge requirements for this camera are mountainous, and I am no higher than ground level (yes, I wear the newbie badge yet :-)), but I love it enough to get myself there.

You are really going to fall in love with that Pentax 50mm f/1.4. I have it on the pentax K10D (that I gave to one of our children), as well as the Tamron 18-200mm XR Di II. That 50mm is a fixed focal length lens, as you know, but I LOVED shooting with it mounted to the camera.

I love doing shoots around Niagara Falls, and try to get up there as often as I can. Never have I been along the Amherst Bike Trails, Glenn Falls, or the Forest Lawn Cemetery - though I have had each of these areas mentioned, before, as places that would offer some nice photographic captures. So, needless to say, I will be checking them out.

Blessings,
Nathan

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote