Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:37 AM   #1

Visited a nearby Stately Home last weekend (Holkham Hall). The weather was pretty miserable so I've been trying to use various techniques to breathe life into some of the shots I took.

I have used HDR on these two, I haven't used extreme settings but I've also not tried to hide the post processing. That "Hyper Real" look is intentional in these pictures but I wanted to stay one step down from "Cartoony":

The last one works particularly well as a Desktop on my 24" iMac.
markmorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:04 AM   #2

Love the first shot! Never done a B&W HDR before... hmmm....
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3

Very nice. I have been playing with HDR also and think this is going to be the wave of the future as they get more realistic tone-mapping of the images. The B&W is very nice. Keep up the good work. What HDR software did you use?- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:23 PM   #4

Mark I too like the black and white, but the second one is really well done as well. The colors are excellent. The HDR makes it look like you are standing there looking at the scene in real life. The tree on the left really sets it off.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:38 PM   #5

Both photos are wonderful! HDR can be done well (I've seen a number of examples posted here). I haven't been able to make it work, but then I haven't tried very hard to, either. Here you've used it to great effect.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I tend to approach HDR as just another tool, in this instance it seemed like the right tool to achieve the effect I wanted with the shots I had. I do not use it all the time (in fact I hardly ever use it) but it's nice to learn how to use it so that I can apply it if I feel the picture would benefit from it.

To answer Bruce's question the HDR and Tonemapping was done using Photomatix Pro (Mac Standalone Version). I find it gives by far the best results of any other HDR tool I've used (including CS3). In fact I do not even have Photoshop installed on my iMac anymore, if it can't be tweaked in Adobe Lightroom and/or Photomatix then I leave it.

Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:45 AM   #7

Out of curiosity - how do you resize your pictures? I use Lightroom mostly, but still use CS2 for resizing and a few other things that it can't do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:21 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity - how do you resize your pictures? I use Lightroom mostly, but still use CS2 for resizing and a few other things that it can't do.
I use Lightroom, the export function gives many options as to the size, quality, location, name, etc. of the exported files. Once you have set up a few templates you can export in one click, i.e I have a "Flickr" export setting which resizes the images to a certain size, renames them and puts them into a Flickr directory on my computer ready for uploading.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:12 PM   #9

Speaking of Lightroom and resizing... one thing that irks me is that Lightroom's file size is always larger for the same level of visual quality. Photoshops 'save for web' gives nice looking, small results at quality level 60/100, but at that same number, LIghtroom's output doesn't look so good, and is even bigger. What gives?
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:15 AM   #10

Out of curiosity, what is HDR?
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote