Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:53 PM   #21

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I love #2 and #3. #2 is a bit funny. #3 you got the focus spot-on!

- Jason
Many thanks Jason!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:02 PM   #22

I like #3 for the color and #1 for the lineup

Dawg... I saw your posting where you say you rethink your postprocessing. I am working on my own sharpen/refocus workflow atm and if you give me a unprocessed file/crop I'd like to check what it could do to makeyour birdieslook more crisp. Just an offer. You can get a first impression on what I am aiming for here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=85

and here:

The method is still more an idea than an algorithm but the more real life tests I can do the better I'll get

Regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:58 PM   #23

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
I like #3 for the color and #1 for the lineup

Dawg... I saw your posting where you say you rethink your postprocessing. I am working on my own sharpen/refocus workflow atm and if you give me a unprocessed file/crop I'd like to check what it could do to makeyour birdieslook more crisp. Just an offer. You can get a first impression on what I am aiming for here:

and here:

The method is still more an idea than an algorithm but the more real life tests I can do the better I'll get

Regards,
Th.

Here is one for you uncropped. Just resized.
Attached Images

Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:09 PM   #24

Ouch,
that's a hard one. Here's my first try. I think I already payed too much for the gained detail and sharpness and color... but I let you decide.

The image "feels" different from what I am used to (I own a *ist DL2) and the image also responded differently to the process... maybe it's a specific thing for such a long range? Who knows...

I tried to concentrate on the bird itself and bring out structure, color and detail of beak, feathers and claws (is claws correct for birds also? Am not sure atm...)

Here is the before-after view at 50%:

I am not sure how colorful the bird really was, but increasing the already applied effect would be easy.

Hm... at that 50% view I am quite happy with my result It has that "refocus" feeling that I am after with my attempts, but I still think I need to find a somewhat more gentle way of doing things.

Anyway - what do you say - wrong way or usable approach?

Regards,
Th.

Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:30 PM   #25

You did a pretty good job of dragging a good photo from a poorly exposed one. Your version is very similar to the one I did but I cropped mine making it a little softer than I wanted. With the light Ive been having to deal with now for about 2 months these are the types of photos I try to resurect!

My version is here.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Dawg
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:29 AM   #26

Yes, it's a tough job and I am happy that I don't have to do it :blah:

Contrasts in the feathers (torso, head) are so low that you can't really bring out the beauty of these lettle birds. The more you increase details and try to sharpen/refocus the more artifacts you get and because structures are so darn small I went for some smoothing steps to allow better edge sharpening.

Good luck in shooting these birds and in postprocessing the images! The most amazing thing for me is that you get close enough for those shots anyway, I have yet to work on these skills. :sad:

Regards,
Th.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:26 AM   #27

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it's a tough job and I am happy that I don't have to do it :blah:

Contrasts in the feathers (torso, head) are so low that you can't really bring out the beauty of these lettle birds. The more you increase details and try to sharpen/refocus the more artifacts you get and because structures are so darn small I went for some smoothing steps to allow better edge sharpening.

Good luck in shooting these birds and in postprocessing the images! The most amazing thing for me is that you get close enough for those shots anyway, I have yet to work on these skills. :sad:

Regards,
Th.
I don't get that close my friend. I'm between 35 and 70 feet from them. I sit on my porch and they are in the trees just in front of my porch...As long as I stay on the porch they will perch in the trees. If I move off the pporch they will fly off every time. Thank you for taking the time to try your process out on them. I did enjoy it.

Dawg

Dawg
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:00 AM   #28

OK - here is another try. A way more defensive approach, no "standard" sharpening methods like USM (to get rid of halos or at least cut those down). Better/more natural handling of noise and light. Colors seem to be a tad dark - maybe a little desaturation is needed, but only you know how the bird really looked.

I can't see how I could get much more from the picture, I am afraid. There is a certain fuzziness that is resistant to my sharpening/refocus tries, especially in the fine feather textures, hm.

I really learned a lot by looking at and working with this pictures, I got some new tricks under my belt now. Thanks for the opportunity, and keep the pictures coming!

Regards,
Th.

Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:51 PM   #29

I like this last one... This last one is probably all that the camera could give in this low light situation. Thank you for working with my poor photo.

Dawg