Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:28 PM   #11

Scott

I am glad that your first couple of shots were for the tele and high iso . Wow that would be critical for my BIF shots this spring as we need a lot of light for the longer lens and high shutter speed.

Keep us posted . Thanks for sharing your insight. I am still sorting out budget issue after getting a DA200mmF2.8. K20D is a most logical step for me as I have skipped K10D

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:51 PM   #12

I would like to see some with a more normal ISO such as 400 and under using your FA* lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:12 PM   #13
TDN

Congrats Scott!

That ISO 6400 downsize is awesome. I had a go in PS with some decreasing of the green channel (to make noise less appearant) and applied some USM and that's amazing! It looks better than an ISO 800 shot out of my DL!

Looking forward to see some more shots.

Have fun with your new toy

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:38 PM   #14

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see some with a more normal ISO such as 400 and under using your FA* lens.
Hi Tom,

I've got a few -- not the best shots, but indicative, I think, of what you can expect in regards to noise. These were shot handheld, but were the best of a few that I managed to get of some of the local Sparrows. All were taken with the Natural setting, Contrast, Sat, and Sharpness = 0, also this was before I realized that the default jpeg was *** instead of ****, so it's not at best quality.

The first is at ISO 200, 1/500, f7.6 (f13 reported), FA*300 +1.7x AFA, SR set at 35mm (I forgot to reset it when I added the TC).

100% crop

Full frame, just resized, no PP

This one's ISO 100 with just the FA*300, 1/1000, f5

100% crop

Full Frame, resized only, no PP

And this is a quick crop/PP/resize of the shot for posting on the web -- I'll get better at it with some more experience.

It's interesting to note that I just used center-weighted metering with no exposure comp on either of these shots. I normally would have used some (-) comp with either the DS or the K10. . .

I think that you'll be happy with this body -- just seat of the pants at this point, but I already feel it focuses more consistantly, and maybe a touch quicker than the K10. It'll take a lot more shots before I have real confidence in it, but so far, I'm thinking that this body is one that I could live with for quite a while.

Scott

BTW, I realize that I have at least one hot/stuck pixel -- since in the past, I've found that they have a way of fixing themselves with time, and anyway there's a hot pixel mapping function built into the K20, so I'm not concerned
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:26 PM   #15

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Scott

I am glad that your first couple of shots were for the tele and high iso . Wow that would be critical for my BIF shots this spring as we need a lot of light for the longer lens and high shutter speed.

Keep us posted . Thanks for sharing your insight. I am still sorting out budget issue after getting a DA200mmF2.8. K20D is a most logical step for me as I have skipped K10D
Hi Daniel,

Congrats on the DA*200.

On the high ISO and tele shot -- This was one of my biggest questions about the new sensor. I use ISO 800 and 1600 quite a bit with the DS, but limit the K10 to about 1000, and am not that happy with the results.

All of the high ISO shots I've seen from the K20 have been the typical available light/fast lens shots you always see for high sensitivity tests -- I thought I'd be a little different and see what it can do in bright light -- more typical of my use. It really performed better than expected, and I'm curious to test it more. . . but it'a still too cold for me out there.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:27 PM   #16

I'm even more impressed with your pictures than I was with my own - it looks like it will work very well for birds with your set-up. I know what you mean about hot pixels coming and going - I had one on the K10 that would have driven me crazy if I hadn't been shooting raw and LR automatically corrected it, so I forgot about it. Yesterday I switched the camera to raw+jpg and the hot pixel is gone (didn't appear on the jpg files). I hope I can swing one of these, as soon as I recover from an expected large dental bill next month (sigh). Keep letting us know how you adjust to the camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:08 PM   #17

Congrats Scott...Looks like you are breaking it in in a hurry!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:32 PM   #18

I just received an email that my K20D is sitting on my friends desk waiting for me, the only problem, I won't be back in Australia until Tuesday night.

I was happy to hear that both his and my K20D's were the first two in my city (Perth).
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:48 PM   #19

Congrats to being one of the first on a continent, PK. Home for a short holiday or longer?

Scott and Ishino, thanks for posting pictures that's deepening my feeling that I have made the rightpriority decidingto get one.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:14 AM   #20

Thanks Scott, I think the high ISO is cool but I would rarely use it for shooting the kind of photos I normally take. Your Sparrows look like the ones up here, freezing their drumsticks off and tired of all this snow.

I will be getting a K20D too, but not for a while, as I had an unexpected attack of LBA and need to recover from that first.

It is all Roy's fault!!!!!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote