Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:37 PM   #31

bilybianca wrote:

And meanwhile you can spend your time at the fitness centre building some muscle...:-)

Still convincedĀ*about the K20D, no less lust for the FA*300...

Kjell
[/quote]

Hi Kjell,

Me seeing the inside of a fitness center is about as likely as the 300 growing into a 600 (hasn't grown a micron in the 2 years I've owned it -- but I've never left it alone for more than a couple of days) . . . or me getting a 600 unless someone decided to donate it. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:33 PM   #32

Scott - I noticed the same thing in my couple of shots in the camera store - the camera really does capture more detail (assuming the lens is capable of it) and I'd feel really comfortable cropping to about 100% - something you can't always do. I've always thought that the K10 does a reasonable job, but that it doesn't add all that much more detail over the K100 - just makes what you get bigger (which does come in handy at times, when you are taking pictures of raindrops). I thought the K20 increased detail was more noticeable.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:43 PM   #33

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
how big are the raw files?? i've heard 24m for the DNG but don't know about the PEFs
Hi Roy,

About 24MB for the DNG, 14MB for the PEF. **** jpegs are 10-12 MB and *** jpegs are 6-7 MB. Downloading and processing files can get slowwww, even for just jpegs, and I can see that it's about time for a faster processor. I'm still running an Athlon 2800+ with 2 GB mem, and it's being challenged by the file sizes.

Scott
thanks ishino..

scott, all i can say is stick to the AMD processor.. i've been using an AMD64 3200 w/1.5g mem. it actually operates at around 2.4-5g... recently i got a donated P4 3.2ghz , 2.75g mem. i have to say that the P4 is no faster than the AMD. maybe a tad slower even w/almost 2x the mem..
my next box will be an AMD64 dual core. i've always liked the AMD over intel

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:48 PM   #34

I have an AMD 64x2 6000+ with 2GB of RAM. The DNG files have been no problem for it so far using Lightroom and Photoshop CS3.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:49 PM   #35

robar wrote:
Quote:

scott, all i can say is stick to the AMD processor.. i've been using an AMD64 3200 w/1.5g mem. it actually operates at around 2.4-5g... recently i got a donated P4 3.2ghz , 2.75g mem. i have to say that the P4 is no faster than the AMD. maybe a tad slower even w/almost 2x the mem..
my next box will be an AMD64 dual core. i've always liked the AMD over intel
Hi Roy,

I've always used AMD processors, probably the same "underdog" attitude that makes me a Pentaxian.:-)

The problem is now that the new motherboards have change "standards" in the past couple of years. Little EIDE support -- everything's SATA, and no AGP support anymore -- now it's PCI Express. I've got over half TB of IDE harddrives, 2 IDE Dbl layer DVD burners, and a relatively expensive AGP video card that's now good for scrap, and I know that I'll have to get new memory. . . -- I know that the drives and burners are relatively cheap, but geesh! This is going to about double what it used to cost to build a new box.

. . . and then there's the matter of bigger SD cards!

Anyone have any experience with SDHC cards? How about some recommendations for fast 4-8 gig SDHC cards? Are the speed "class" ratings reliable, or possibly marketing hype like the "X" speed ratings always seemed to be? Write times seem to be a bit slow on my PQI 150X 2 gig card.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:48 PM   #36

OKay, I admit it... I want one... stay calm... take a deep breath... repeat after me, "No you can't afford it"... stop sobbing you big baby you'll get over it...

I need to go somewhere else now. Maybe lie down for a while.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:11 PM   #37

"MF Sigma 300/2.8"

Yes Scott, that is my LBA problem that will be shipped on Monday. I will post some photos when it gets here, which I hope will be very nice.

Now I have to wait for the K20D!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:53 AM   #38

Congrats on your K20D Scott i used to have a Canon 40D then sold everything to go Pentax and haven't regreted one bit, but i am selling my K20D so i can get the K7 once released
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:00 PM   #39

wow, this thread is old.. just got my k20 last week at 680usd..
the k7 from what i've read is a lot of hype.
me??? i'll be happy with the k20 for the next 3-5 years.. i've been happy with the DS since it came out and skipping a load of upgrades.. i'm just happy i waited for it over the k10.. i'm in no way saying anything bad about the k10..
it was getting just to tough to wait..

Last edited by robar; Jun 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
robar wrote:

Little EIDE support -- everything's SATA, and no AGP support anymore -- now it's PCI Express. I've got over half TB of IDE harddrives, 2 IDE Dbl layer DVD burners, and a relatively expensive AGP video card that's now good for scrap, and I know that I'll have to get new memory. . . -- I know that the drives and burners are relatively cheap, but geesh! This is going to about double what it used to cost to build a new box.

Scott
I tried to translate this to English with Babel Fish, my CPU burnt!

Меньшяя поддержка EIDE -- everything' s SATA, и отсутствие поддержка AGP больше -- теперь it' PCI s курьерский. I' ve получил над половинным TB harddrives IDE, 2 горелок слоя DVD IDE Dbl, и относительно дорогей карточки that' AGP видео-; s теперь хороший для утиля, и я знаем что I' ll должно получить новую память. -- Я знаю что приводы и горелки относительно дешевы, только geesh! Это идет около удвоить чего оно использовало для того чтобы стоить для того чтобы построить новую коробку.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote