Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:15 PM   #1

Hi All,

I just received my new K20D.

I had though that I'd wait until I could at least get a little discount off MSRP, instead of being an "early adopter", but I knew I was getting one. A friend of suggested I call CameralandNY.com, and told me that sometimes discounted brand new models, and they had a free shipping program.

I called them Monday AM, and was told that they were expecting them this week, and their price was $1269.99 with free shipping via DHL. For me, that would be @ $130 difference from buying locally and $46.50 less than I'd pay at B&H, and they weren't showing them in stock yet either at the time. I was told that I was #3 in line.

Yesterday, I returned home to find a DHL delivery notice stuck to the front door. I looked up the tracking # and saw that it had shipped Monday afternoon. It was too late to call DHL CS to get them to hold it at will-call, so I waited for delivery today, and unlike my usual practice of just missing the delivery guy, I was actually home when it came. . .

I've just finished the initial setup of the camera (there are some changes from the K10D that I've noticed already), and since I already have a couple of spare batteries, I'm off to shoot some. I've packed a couple of bags with lenses, flash and such, switched the ever-present grip straps around.

I'll post some shots and impressions later today. It's cold, but sunny and clear, so hopefully I'll get something worthwhile. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:40 PM   #2

Way to go! Now we'll get an idea of what this camera can really do! Can't wait!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:55 PM   #3

Scott

Looking forward to seeing some results.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:42 PM   #4

Mine came today too! I'll post morelater tonight after I get home. But I like it so far. Shipping firmware is v1.0.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:34 PM   #5

OK, Scott and Ishino, with priviligies comes duties. Now your new acquisitions will be everyones guinea-pig. I'll start off demanding your time and property. :-)

I've done my homework and read reviews and technical specifications till my eyes started bleeding, but one for me important question is still left without an answer.

Scott, I have a faint memory that you have one or two lenses besides the kit lens.

Can you (applies to you too, Ishino, I think you have at least one non-FA lens!) check if thefocus tuning for individual lenses work for manual lenses as well? Can you somehow name a lens (ie as A, B,C or #1, #2, #3) and save the setting, and later "tell" the camera what lens you have mounted? My A*85mm frontfocuses if I rely on the focus confirmation on my DS, and that is a problem when focusing in dim light as it's hard to judge from the WF matte screen only. The focus tuning feature would be very handy, if it works with this lens. And of course with my other manual lenses, if there should be a problem with those on the K20D.

Oh, congratulations to being amongst the first! And congratulations to having a real fine tool for your creativity.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:50 PM   #6

For non-identified (manual lenses) it has one AF setting adjustment that applies to all. Only the Apply All setting comes up with a manual lens attached. With an FA or other identified lens, it shows both settings. There appears to be no custom saving for different adjustments for multiple non-identified lenses. It did recognize my Tamron lenses so it is safe to say that it will recognize more than just Pentax lenses.

It has two settings for AF Adjustment:

Apply All: +/- 10

Apply One: +/- 10

I think for the few manual lenses I do have what I will end up doing is once I figure out what the correct setting for each is, I will print it off on some adhesive paper in small print and stick it to the inside cover of the accessory door. That way I caninput the setting if needed. It takes about 5 seconds to change thesetting. Still it would be better if it stored them on their own and had a menu that you could select from.

I am happy to entertain any questions that you might have that I might be able to answer.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:08 PM   #7

Hi Kjell,

I was curious about this also.

I can't tell you difinitively whether there's a work around for this, but here's what I've discovered so far about the focus adjustment feature.

It's dependent on the lens ID that's transmitted by the lens, except for the "Accept All" setting which changes the setting for all lenses. In other words, you can only save settings for FA type lenses that transmit a lens ID to the body.

However -- the Accept All option is active, even for MF lenses, so this can apparently be your work around. Once you find the right setting for a particular lens, you can manually set it before using the lens. Not probably what you wanted to hear, but I think you'd find it workable.

I had imagined seeing a table with different settings saved for various lenses, but it's apparently automatic, saving a setting for the lens ID supplied by the lens, and applying it when the lens is mounted and sensed. I'll look into this further, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works.

Scott
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the rapid answers! As you say Scott not really what I wanted to hear. I think I'll go for your method Ishino, till Pentax MAKE A FIRMWARE UPGRADE ( do you think that was loud enough to be heard in Tokyo?)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:37 PM   #9

Hi All,

I'm going to dribble my impressions in a bit at a time. The K20D might be an "evolutionary" step up, but I'm finding that there are some significant differences between it and the K10D, so I'll bring things up as I discover them.

One of the first things I noticed is that in the Fn menu, you can change the image settings (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, and Vivid) with the corresponding Sharpness, Contrast, and Saturation sub-settings for each. You activate the mode changes by pressing the OK button. Default is Bright on the K20D

Another thing that jpeg shooters might look out for is that the default setting for jpegs is ***, which is no longer the best compression quality -- there's a **** setting now too.

Moving on, High ISO is a priority for me, since I shoot ultra teles with TCs a majority of the time, and high sensitivity gives me more lens speed (in a virtual sense).
In this area, I'm more concerned with High ISO IQ in more normal lighting than in low existing light situations, so my needs are different than most.

Here's an example of what I mean. K20, FA*300/4.5 + F 1.7x AFA, f8.2 (f14 reported) 1/4000, ISO 1600. Natural mode, Contr, Sat, Sharp, all 0, High ISO NR = weak.

First the 100% crop

Actually less noise than I had expected, and it's not all that destructive to the details, likely because of the high resolution.

The surprise came when I downsized it to 800x532 in one step using PSP XII bicubic with sharpening set to 75, no other PP

I always knew that downsizing makes for a cleaner looking image, but this is pretty impressive, IMO. Remember this is ISO 6400

Another neat feature is that in the review mode, you can split the screen between different images, even when magnified, so you can compare enlarged portions of any two images on the memory card. This should come in handy when setting up lenses for AF adjustment.

More later. . .

Scott

Something else to note in this pic -- see how the transition to the blown out white section of the goose's cheek is very gentle -- not a distict white blob. I like this. . .
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:15 PM   #10

Congratulations Scott. Can't wait to see some results from the new camera

Brian
goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote