Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:45 PM   #1

Today I captured a Kinfisher hovering and startig it's dive and an Osprey carrying it's fresh catch. Trouble is they were too far away to get good resolution after cropping.

One day I will be in the right place at the right time to do better. This makes the good ones more appreciated.

You just need to keep shooting and the good ones will come, where do you stand on this subject?

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:46 PM   #2

Kingfisher 2
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:47 PM   #3

Osprey
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:04 PM   #4

Your right there, you just have to keep going and keep taking pictures and one day you will be in the right place at the right time.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:53 PM   #5

I am about to get a complex about kingfishers. They have the uncanniest knack to split at exactly the right moment and dive behind the brush line and out of sight. And the call they make sounds distinctly like a laugh!

Ed, I am convinced that if we just keep at it, it will get better! I have yet to get anything close to postable. Your hover pic is pretty good.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6

I know what you mean about frustration! I've given up taking pictures of white flowers because most of mine are horrible, and lets not talk about birds...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:50 AM   #7

snooked wrote:
Quote:
One day I will be in the right place at the right time to do better. This makes the good ones more appreciated.

You just need to keep shooting and the good ones will come, where do you stand on this subject?
Hi Ed,

Nice job!

It took over 2 years of chasing them around before I got a really decent shot of a Belted Kingfisher. I had chased a couple around a little lake for over two hours one day, and couldn't get closer than about 50 ft., then he'd take off cackling like Dennis said.

Finally, I heard one, and actually got pretty close, but it took 700mm to reel him in. . . and since I s*ck at BIF shots, I haven't even tried. . .

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...41&forum_id=80

You can't believe how excited I was -- ran home to look at the files on the big monitor . . .
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:24 PM   #8

In my experience, you can't chase a Kingfisher and get anywhere close -it willkeep moving away. The only way would be to watch as it moves from perch to perch around its territory, then pick your spot, sit down and wait until it comes to you. If you are too much out in the open it may just bypass you (the story of My Life with Kingfishers around here)! The best Kingfishers pictures to appear on these forums have been taken from a blind, where the photographer is hidden from the bird's view. Not an easy bird to get. :angry:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:31 PM   #9

definately as others have stated.. when the pond next to the house was stocked with many types of fish i would not have had a problem.... since it went dry all i see is frogs and turtles.. ah,,, and quite a few herons. froglegs anyone???
robar is offline   Reply With Quote