Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:46 AM   #21

Have to put those up on the big screen later, they look amazing on my laptop.

Thanks for taking the time to put up all the samples!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:15 AM   #22

Thanks for posting - I've got to look at these on my monitor at home (this one at work isn't the best). On this one, it looks like vibrant isn't as "over the top" as the DS's bright mode. Also, I like the dynamic range option one - you can see a difference in the cup. And I know what you mean about the K10 vs. the DS/DL reaction - I felt the same way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:27 AM   #23

Interesting series of shots.

I just showed them to the fellow with our Coffee service who has a wedding Photography Business on the side and is a Nikon guy.

I specfically went to the high ISO shots and copied them to a file on my computer (hope you don't mind) so that I could show them to him

I asked him, based on his eye and experience, to see if he could guess the ISO settings.

He guessed the shot @ 6400 to be 800 or possible 1600.

What I can tell you is ....... He was impressed.

:G
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:47 PM   #24

Hi Ishino,

Looks like you've been busy. . . I have a hard time setting up test shots like yours (it's so confusing, juggling all those files) -- so I usually don't :-)

Like Harriet, I also know exactly how you feel about the K10 after the DS, but the handling characteristics, adjustability, and comparative speed, plus the SR were enough for me to persevere to learn the K10, which is a significantly harder camera to try to master. The payoff is that the K20, after somewhat figuring out the K10, seems really easy to get good results with. Where you had to really work to get the best images out of the K10, it almost seems automatic with the K20.

What a lot of people who have just compared the specs of the K10 to the K20 don't get is how Pentax has filled in all the features.

Some good examples are bracketing and the B&W filter. With the K20, you can bracket WB, Saturation, Hue, Contrast, and Sharpness. For Auto Exposure bracketing, you can now do a 5 shot bracket for HDM. The B&W filter now allows you to bias the conversion with color filters for different contrast effects, instead of just offering a single desaturated output.

Pentax also tweaked the P-TTL algorithms again, and flash reflections in the frame seem to no longer produce massive underexposure like with the DS and K10. Exposures also seem to be more consistent over a wide range of settings. I wonder if the 3rd party flashes have to be rechipped again?

I think that Pentax would do themselves a great service by publishing a more detailed feature comparison between the K10 and K20 -- and get the design engineers involved so they can show how much they've worked to add features to the new model that don't really show up on the spec sheets. It's really much more than a sensor upgrade (and the sensor is, IMO, worth the upgrade by itself -- it's that good)

A good example of the last point is that High ISO Noise Reduction can be turned off or used at three different levels at the user's discretion, as opposed to some of the other mfgs who apply NR at the sensor chip level so even the RAW files are processed, and the user has no choice in the matter.

I think you can tell I like the K20. . . It would be pretty hard not to. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:54 PM   #25

Scott or ishino- Do you know if the K20D is the first Pentax camera to do 5 shot auto bracketing and is this feature also available on the K200D. My DL will only do 3 shots. This could be an important featureif you like toshoot HDRjpegs - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:09 PM   #26

Thanks for those pics, they look great.

I can't see any difference upto about 4000! Not like my k10d which seems quite noticable to me at 1600.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:24 PM   #27

bper wrote:
Quote:
Scott or ishino¬*- Do you know if the K20D is the first Pentax camera to do 5 shot auto bracketing and is this feature also available on the K200D. My DL will only do 3 shots. This could be an important feature¬*if you like to¬*shoot HDR¬*jpegs
Hi Bruce,

AFAIK, the K20 is the first to have 5 shot auto bracketing. The K10 has 3, as does the D and they have been the flagship models.

It should be noted that if you want to take advantage of the mirror lock up, when bracketing with the K20, there will be a 2 sec delay between each shot (or at least I remember reading that somewhere). . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:59 PM   #28

More K20D samples, why do you insist on torturing me? I think I will go lie down again untill this passes.

Sorry, I know I shouldn't but... I want one.

I know!!! The files are too big... the camera is too bulky... it's the wrong shade of black... OKay, I can't afford it, there I said it, I feel better now.

But I still need to lie down.

Ira
(distraught in Gander)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:40 PM   #29

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
bper wrote:
Quote:
Scott or ishino- Do you know if the K20D is the first Pentax camera to do 5 shot auto bracketing and is this feature also available on the K200D. My DL will only do 3 shots. This could be an important featureif you like toshoot HDRjpegs
Hi Bruce,

AFAIK, the K20 is the first to have 5 shot auto bracketing. The K10 has 3, as does the D and they have been the flagship models.

It should be noted that if you want to take advantage of the mirror lock up, when bracketing with the K20, there will be a 2 sec delay between each shot (or at least I remember reading that somewhere). . .

Scott
Actually the K10D has 5 shots as well.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:45 AM   #30

Great examples Ishino, thank you for taking the time to make them. And I had told myself I was not buying another camera until I had filled out the lens collection >sigh<.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote