Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2008, 9:26 AM   #1

:idea:hey all

I thought this was a great article on the difference between raw converters. Shocking!

take a look

http://www.ok1000pentax.com/2007/03/...onverters.html

bob:idea:

BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:16 AM   #2

One quick point, it is often overlooked because it is not strong on features but Picasa2 will view and process PEF files from most Pentax models. It is fast and convenient if you just need a quick conversion and minimal correction.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3

Interesting reading. I am a user of PPL 3.10 and I know everyone has a problem with the interface, but once you get beyond that, it is very capable. I wasglad to see the article showed that.

Like most here I've tried all the free different converters and also did raw shooter and silkypix in there full versions. After much playing around and indecision, I went back to PPL and haven't found anything that gives me the results it does. Granted for the person trying to do a hundred pictures, it may not be good, but for one picture at a time, I can get it to look just like I want.

I can't afford all the money it takes to go the Photoshop route, so for me PPL and Irfanview work just fine. It's called Pentax fun on a budget. I do have Paint Shop Pro, but don't like the results as well as Irfanview, but I use it for some ofmy touch up work- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:22 PM   #4

Thanks for this Bob.

I haven't read thro' it yet but in my few forays into RAW I have found Raw Therapee to be very easy and free !!

On Ira's note about Picasa 2, for a time now I've been working hard on learning to use PSE 5 but now compare these results with Picasa 2 or sometimes just use Picasa 2 e.g for scenery pix.

P2 auto contrast & feeling lucky still look pretty good.

Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:11 AM   #5

For RAW I settled on Lightroom, mainly for its interface. I have yet to really tap what this program can do though. I use Picasa as my library software but rarely do any editing with it. My main program is Paint Shop Pro, both X and now X2. I like the fact that most Photoshop plugins also work with PSP and if I reach the point that I am spending several hundred dollars on specific plugins I will feel a lot better about it if my base program did not cost more than either of my Pentax cameras.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6

My experience:

I have RAW Shooter Essentials (got it before the buy out). Great program but I do not like the interface.

Lightroom - I was a beta tester, I like it very much but not quite enough to purchase it... yet. Great control over the processing and a wonderful preview screen.

PPL 3 - Great results but an appalling interface unless you have multiple monitors or a screen the size of Texas.Great results but tries my patience trying to keep track of all of those windows.

CS2 ACR - good results but not as user friendly (or should I say "photographer friendly") as Lightroom. Great results but not very intuitive.

Picasa2 - My favourite for non-critical work. Simple, fast and better results than in-camera jpeg. One big negative is that it does not preserve EXIF data. I will go to PPL3 for critical work for it's much greater control, but everyday images and smaller prints are easier and faster with P2.

Conclusion: Lightroom would be my first choice but meanwhile Picasa2 and Pentax Photo Lab 3 will serve my purposes well. Except in very difficult lighting situations most of these will produce comparable results up to 8"X10" prints.

Great article BTW.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:53 AM   #7

Ira - One trick I do with PPL3 is I turn off some of the windows, so I only have 4 open, plus the header. I have found I can drag these and get them all to fit on my screen.

If I need one of the others I can turn it on. I don't have noise reduction or lens abberation turned on. By playing with the different screens, I can stretch them to just fit my monitor and I have it checked to save the last status. It takes some playing but once it's set, it stays that way- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:35 AM   #8

as to ira's reference to two monitors. i agree.. i've been using 2 for a couple of years now and certainly will not go back to one.. as cheap as they are now i can't see using just one unless you just don't have the room.. being able to move everything except your image to another screen is unbeatable.. i'm an ACR user but probably would have switched to RS if adobe hadn't ended it's future..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:48 AM   #9

Although I use 2 monitors at work, I tried 2 at home, and while it was handy, it also took up a lot of room.

So I compromised and bought a 24" widescreen monitor - almost as good as 2 screens, but takes up lees room and I can still keep a resonable graphics card for games....

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:54 AM   #10

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Although I use 2 monitors at work, I tried 2 at home, and while it was handy, it also took up a lot of room.

So I compromised and bought a 24" widescreen monitor - almost as good as 2 screens, but takes up lees room and I can still keep a resonable graphics card for games....
Dal
D, with the prices as they are , i've considered that also.. to think that just a couple of years ago a 24'' monitor was so far out of range for most is really a testament to how far tech has come. i still don't understand why TV prices are still at what they are..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote