Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   Rare spring like hours in Toronto (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/137749-rare-spring-like-hours-toronto.html)

danielchtong Mar 3, 2008 6:10 PM

Before heading to another snow storm , we had a few hours of balmy temp at around 10 deg C

I think if the K20D can manage iso 1600 as K100D, the former will be a winner with a lot more cropping room. Needless to say the images are heavily cropped and they are at iso 1600 to get just some wing motion at 1/2500s





http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/imag...3/original.jpg








http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/imag...5/original.jpg



Daniel

wadue Mar 3, 2008 6:43 PM

I know what you mean, Daniel. Yesterday, in St. Louis, we had a high of 78f(25c)...this afternoon freezing rain arrived & up to 12 inches of snow predicted by this time tomorrow with a high of 30f(-1f). All within 48hours??? We have a saying here... Don't like the weather in St. Louis, wait an hour...it'll change!

Beautiful shots of that male! I really like #2...I don't recall seeing a picture like that one with the wings spread out. I think it would interesting to just crop it down to the wing...it almost looks 3d!

Thanks for sharing!
Ron

danielchtong Mar 3, 2008 7:02 PM

wadue wrote:
Quote:

I know what you mean, Daniel. Yesterday, in St. Louis, we had a high of 78f(25c)...this afternoon freezing rain arrived & up to 12 inches of snow predicted by this time tomorrow with a high of 30f(-1f). All within 48hours??? We have a saying here... Don't like the weather in St. Louis, wait an hour...it'll change!

Beautiful shots of that male! I really like #2...I don't recall seeing a picture like that one with the wings spread out. I think it would interesting to just crop it down to the wing...it almost looks 3d!

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
Ron ,

The same snow storm will be hitting your guys first before heading eastward to Ontario.

Cardinals, being smaller, like to hide behind dense branches for protection. I do not have enough light even on sunny days. I set that to 1/2500s which is the bare minimum for the job. Hope to get it better images this summer


Daniel

ennacac Mar 3, 2008 7:43 PM

At least you guys got some warm weather, it got up to a balmy 15F here today, but it was sunny.

Tom

danielchtong Mar 3, 2008 8:03 PM

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

At least you guys got some warm weather, it got up to a balmy 15F here today, but it was sunny.

Tom
Tom,

We are talking about a few hours only. I think it started this morning at 0 deg C up to 12 deg noon time and well has been dropping like a stone. I think the temptation of getting a K20D is greater now particularly when I have skipped K10D. I will wait until spring when all the dust/price has settled. With shots like the above, it does give more room for cropping indeed

Daniel

Monza76 Mar 3, 2008 9:11 PM

Magnificent shots Daniel , which lens, the A* 300mm or the new DA*200mm f2.8?

nhmom Mar 3, 2008 9:51 PM

I know I said I wasn't really into bird shots, but that wing span one is cool.

danielchtong Mar 3, 2008 9:56 PM

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:

Magnificent shots Daniel , which lens,* the A* 300mm or the new DA*200mm f2.8?
Ron, Tom , nhmom & Ira,

Thanks for taking time to comment .

Likely I won't have my 200mm until I am back from my Hong Kong trip in early April. Meanwhile I can push my daughter to get used temporararily to a prime fast lens.
My image has no FL in the exif . They are still from my A300mm which is short for the occasion.

wadue wrote:
Quote:

Beautiful shots of that male! I really like #2...I don't recall seeing a picture like that one with the wings spread out. I think it would interesting to just crop it down to the wing...it almost looks 3d!

Ron
No wonder not many shots can be made. It is fast and I barely made part of it at 1/2500s. And all skittish birds like to hide under shade. BIF pict of sparrow or chickadee is still difficult (though maginally easier as they are around in broad day light).


Daniel

mtngal Mar 3, 2008 10:40 PM

I'm really impressed with these - they are wonderful.

snostorm Mar 4, 2008 12:55 AM

Hi Daniel,

Very nice work! I'm definitely jealous of #2.

Scott


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2