Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1

something strange happened when i was shooting the BFs. when i put the card in my reader i saw i had 2 different folders on the card. one called 100PENTX and the other 101PENTX.. i've never had more than 1 folder (just 100PENTX)before and i did nothing to create it.. so, can someone tell me what's going on??? i'm shooting a DS..

ry
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2

hmm.. I have no idea about a pentax yet (haven't been using it long enough), but my Panasonic Lumix FZ50 does that.. creates a new folder on each 1000 photos..

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:30 PM   #3

ahhhhh, you may have it irena. i'll need to check the numbers but i know i turned over my 2nd 10,000th shot during the series..

thanks,
roy
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:59 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
ahhhhh, you may have it irena. i'll need to check the numbers but i know i turned over my 2nd 10,000th shot during the series..
Hi Roy,

Irena is correct, You must have turned 10,000. If you delete all the files after copying them, it should go back to a single folder.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:19 PM   #5

yep,
that's what it was. i did turn 20,000 during the series.. looks like i need to start a new folder to keep from adding dupe file names.

roy
edit: scott, looks like we need to stay on our toes as this new gal seems to be pretty sharp
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:17 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
edit: scott, looks like we need to stay on our toes as this new gal seems to be pretty sharp
Roy,

I was going to say exactly the same thing, but didn't want to give her too big a head right off. . . Now you've done it. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 2:13 AM   #7

Don't worry, guys.. I have quite a big experience in digital photography... And I don't mind sharing things, I know already..

Cheers! Irena

PS. My head is still ok..

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:20 AM   #8

Hi Roy,
The way I have the K100D set produces a new folder for each change of date, which suits me ... I like them in date order when I move them to the PC. Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:00 AM   #9

Roy, this is something I routinely see when I do a long shoot, such as a football game where I might have as many as 1100 shots in a night. It appears that the default max file folder size is 500 shots. (It has to be the default since I haven't changed any settings on file storage.)

Simply deleting the files doesn't remove the directories and reset the counter to the 100PENTX folder. Formatting the card will. I have memory cards where I'm on folders as high as 117PENTX, even though I have removed the directories after transferring the files.

I have considered changing the default file name setting to naming directories with dates, but I haven't done it. I'm not sure the sequential counting by 10,000's would continue and that way helps me keep up with total shutter actions (I'm closing in on 60,000.)

To me, it just hasn't been a big deal once I fgured out what it was doing.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:46 AM   #10

jack, i don't know if the DS is capable of that.. at least not what i've read..

paul, i only shoot in raw. i couldn't get 1100 shots on an 8gig card. i'd need 7 two gig cards for that many shots.

roy