Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:25 PM   #1

Hi All,

Despite the 20°(F) temps, it was a clear sunny day today, and it didn't feel quite that cold in the sun, so I bundled up and took off for Crab Tree Nature Preserve to see if I could get some real-life bird shots at the feeders.

On my way there, I spotted a Red-tailed Hawk landing in a tree above a gas station, so I pulled into the station, parked and grabbed the K20 which already had the FA*300/4.5 and the F1.7x AFA on it. I was actually a little too close, but I shot from that distance anyway, since I've had my troubles shooting raptors, and I didn't want to completely blow it. . .

I took a chance and moved a little way from the car to get clear of the many little branches that were between us, and got these shots -- all handheld at ISO 400 -- the one thing I didn't do is reset the SR after setting it up for 700mm -- I'll get it sooner or later. . . :shock:

The shots were all a little soft from camera shake, so I sharpened them a little to post them.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2

Scott,

Really nice capture, Raptors can be very hard to get a good clear picture of. Nice and sharp.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:14 PM   #3

2many wrote:
Quote:
Scott,

Really nice capture,* Raptors can be very hard to get a good clear picture of.* Nice and sharp.
Hi Terry,

Tell me about it, I've been birding seriously for about 4 years, and although I've spotted quite a few, but have little to show for it. These are about the best I've done to date -- totally a fluke tho. . . but on this outing, I was able to spot 4 before I even got to the place I was headed for. -- more to follow in another post.

Scott
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:03 PM   #4

You don't know how much you are making my mouth water for a K20. I know - so much of it depends on the lens and your combination is outstanding. The other major factor is the photographer and his steady hands - sometimes I think you are supernatural with your abilities to handhold a camera with a long lens like this. I keep trying to tell myself that when I look at your pictures but it doesn't help at all! These are excellent!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:37 PM   #5

scott, i hate to say it but your shots with the stacked tamron look better than these superb images.. these seem to be quite softer.. PP difference????

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:32 AM   #6

Hi Roy,

You're partially correct. I'm still sorting out the in-camera settings, and for these, I used Natural, with contrast, saturation, hue, and sharpness all at 0. There's also a Fine Sharpness adjustment, and I don't even know what that means. Anyway, I found out today that there's really nothing I can do to simulate real life shooting situations for me to test the settings. I've actually been thinking about buying a stuffed bird to test stuff indoors while it's still cold.

I also haven't tried calibrating the AF with the AFA. Both my DS and K10 focus the AFA brilliantly, but I've noticed a significant difference when using it with the K20.

I'm also experimenting with PP, trying all kinds of combinations in resizing and sharpening for posts or prints. It's hard to resize such large files and retain any detail without making it look goofy. You're taking 14.6 MP and resizing to less than 1/2 MP. The good thing is that the K20 images take to PP well, but I find that I have to handle things differently.

This sensor really likes extremely sharp lenses, and the mediocre ones tend to really show their weaknesses. My copy AFs differently than either the DS or the K10, and on a lens to lens basis, so I can't be sure if it's the lens or the AF focus point that's the problem. --

It's a whole new process for me, and I've got quite a few lenses.:roll: The good news is a couple of lenses that were disappointing with both the DS and K10 are really nice with the K20, and I've been able to improve the performance of a couple that I already liked.

It's all a learning process, and I'm definitely back to school for me.

Scott
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:39 AM   #7

Those are really nice Scott, but they seemed a bit flat to me. Here is one with just a small amount of PP in CS2 that looks better to me. What do you think?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:20 AM   #8

Hi Tom,

I agree, the added contrast and saturation makes it pop and gives it more depth. It also would be much better for printing.

Scott
Old Mar 7, 2008, 2:34 AM   #9

Scott, what d'ya mean a "fluke?" You went out to take pictures and you were prepared when the moment came. I can see what you mean about being lucky to find a raptor at a gas station, but it wasn't luck that had you bring your camera with you or have it ready to go with the 300mm lens on it. In this case I would say you made your own luck! And then to top it off you took advantage of the situation and got somereally nice shots. Not a lot of "flukiness" in that series!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:26 AM   #10

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Scott, what d'ya mean a "fluke?" You went out to take pictures and you were prepared when the moment came. I can see what you mean about being lucky to find a raptor at a gas station, but it wasn't luck that had you bring your camera with you or have it ready to go with the 300mm lens on it. In this case I would say you made your own luck! And then to top it off you took advantage of the situation and got somereally nice shots. Not a lot of "flukiness" in that series!

Glenn
i agree glenn.
scott, hope you didn't take me wrong. i think the shots are all great but just not up to what i'm use to seeing from you..

roy
edit: what's the pef & dng file size???
robar is offline   Reply With Quote