Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:40 PM   #1

Hi All,

Going through the shots I took at the feeders at a local nature preserve, I found a couple more that came out pretty good, and since the Downy shot was especially commented on, I figured that I'd post a few more.

They were taken with my new K20 and the FA*300/4.5 + F1.7x AFA at ISO 400 in Jpeg *** quality from about 15 ft away.

The cool thing is that I'm confident that I can get better technical quality from this camera/lens combo as I get to know the camera better. . .

I'm really looking forward to some warmer weather tho . . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2008, 6:07 PM   #2

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Going through the shots I took at the feeders at a local nature preserve, I found a couple more that came out pretty good, and since the Downy shot was especially commented on, I figured that I'd post a few more.

They were taken with my new K20 and the FA*300/4.5 + F1.7x AFA at ISO 400 in Jpeg *** quality from about 15 ft away.

The cool thing is that I'm confident that I can get better technical quality from this camera/lens combo as I get to know the camera better. . .

I'm really looking forward to some warmer weather tho . . .

Scott
Scott

The exif reports that it is F13. Does it report the correct F number of is is before the TC?

Your test shots give me confidence in looking at an update from my K100d earlier than what I decided

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 6:35 PM   #3

Hi Daniel,

The F1.7x AFA converts the aperture reported to exif by multiplying the len's aperture value by @1.7x, so the setting on the lens was acutally @ f7.6. It rounds the number, so it's not really super accurate. For example, it reports the f4.5 of the FA*300 as f8 instead of f7.7 which would be the actual (f7.65) value rounded up.

I think that you'd like the update. The K20 delivers a very strong upgrade from the D series cams and the K100, IMO. You get over twice the MP count for much better resolution, and a wider ISO sensitivity range with better high ISO noise performance that's due to the sensor technology rather than in-camera NR as implemented in other mfgs, and a much more sophisticated feature set.

I also feel that it's a more significant upgrade from the K10 than many K10 users seem to feel. This model is much more than just a sensor upgrade. I'll try to illustrate this more as I really get to use the camera more seriously than just playing with it in my living room.

Scott
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:18 PM   #4

have you used the EDR function
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:37 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
have you used the EDR function
Hi Roy,

I haven't, other than learning how to set it up. Looks like we won't have any sun until sometime next week, so I wouldn't be able to check it out until then. I wasn't that impressed with some of the samples I've seen, but you never know. . .

Scott
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:11 PM   #6

Scott, I am liking the K20D more now that I have seen what you are doing with it. To be honest, up to now I have not been that impressed with the images I have seen posted from the camera.

Nice shots.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:21 AM   #7

These Downy pictures are much superior to mine when i am using a 60-300 f/4-5,6 zoom.

I have hung my suet-block feeder on a Box Elder Maple in my yard, and have several Downies using it. They are very wary birds. Usually, they land in the tp of the tree, then work their way down towards the feeder. Once they get there they are largely engrossed in feeding. It is hard to tell the male from the female, for, it seems to me, the only visible difference is a small red streak AS A cap on the males. Their abilty to cling to the feeder basket is interesting.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote