Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:59 AM   #1

This link http://www.flickr.com/photos/monza76...7604064519934/is to a set of images I shot on Thursday night at an annual poetry and music night known as the March Hare, or Eric's Time (in honour of one of its founding members who passed away).

I shot in PEF at ISO 1600 using the DL and 50mm f1.4 lens. The EXIF data was not preserved since they were quickly processed in Picasa2 and Noiseware, both of which strip the data. Most shots were at f2.0 in Av mode with -0.7 exposure compensation. There were occasional AF issues (the DL is accurate most of the time but I didn't always have a good clean view to get accurate focus). Without SR or a tripod I thought they came out fairly well. I was inspired by Tom's concert photography to give this a try, although it was a small venue without stage lighting.

Here are some samples to look at to see if you want to take a look. All comments are welcome.

(above) Daniel Payne, accomplished musician and singer, collector of folksongs and actor (appeared in the CBC mini-series "Random Passage").

(below) Bernice Morgan, author of the novel "Random Passage" about early settlers on the Newfoundland coast. (Later a CBC miniseries)

I await your comments.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:59 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ira, As a remaining minority of DL users, I am comforted by the amazing quality of these pictures.The lighting is outstanding! No SR, low end AF, and most of all, where's the noise at 1600 ASA??? It reminds me again that the gear has so little to do with it compared to the eye of the photographer. Nice job!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:12 PM   #3

Exposure right on, focus, as you said, a bit off in some but most shots just perfect. Do you trust AF in these situations? I don't. But still I get some OOF pics.

One thing I think is very difficult in this kind of events is to get a nice balance between performer/speaker and audience. I want to include enough of the audience to give a feel of their presence, while they shouldn't be a distraction. I can see that you struggle with that too.

Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:59 PM   #4

Really like the clarity and color.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:23 PM   #5

A 1, ira
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:03 PM   #6

Bumped for Brian (goldwing85) . BTW he was master of ceremonies for the event.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:00 AM   #7

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I shot in PEF at ISO 1600 using the DL and 50mm f1.4 lens.* The EXIF data was not preserved since they were quickly processed in Picasa2 and Noiseware,* both of which strip the data. Most shots were at f2.0 in Av mode with -0.7 exposure compensation.* There were occasional AF issues (the DL is accurate most of the time but I didn't always have a good clean view to get accurate focus).* Without SR or a tripod I thought they came out fairly well.* I was inspired by Tom's concert photography to give this a try,* although it was a small venue without stage lighting.
Ira,

Both appear to be more stepped down than F2 with a bigger DoF. Subjectively I always think DL gives better noise reduction than my K100D. Likely it is just the diference in jpg manipulation as I only shoot JPG. Thanks for sharing

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:37 AM   #8

Awesome shots Ira, and I thank you for doing this. Hosting an event like this, you never really get to see just what it really looks like but looking at these reminds me of just what a great event that it was.

Thanks again.

Brian
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:59 AM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Awesome shots Ira, and I thank you for doing this. Hosting an event like this, you never really get to see just what it really looks like but looking at these reminds me of just what a great event that it was.

Thanks again.

Brian

Brian, you have to stop using my computer at work.

Ira

Here is Brian!

BTW this was shot in jpeg before I switched to RAW for the rest of the evening. The DL does nice jpegs.

Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:06 AM   #10

OOPS........ Guilty as charged....but your computer was right there and mine was all the way downstairs

Nice picture of me, though....Well done !!

Brian
goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote