Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:46 PM   #1

Yesterday, I cleaned out and refilled all of my feeders, in the process, dumping a significant amount of seed on the ground. It was discovered by a flock of crows late in the day. This morning, this fellow and a partner came back for seconds.

He clearly saw me sitting on the front porch....and was NOT happy

Meanwhile, at the feeder, lots of business, led by the cardinals

Among the other visitors, an eastern phoebe (who was much more interested in the "fancy metal tree branch"), some slate colored juncos, and a downy woodpecker.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:49 PM   #2

I hesitate to say this and only mean to help. These pics are soft and should be much more crisp when comparing to other post on this site. Hopfully some of the pros or just excellent photographers on this site can offer some help. If I am out of line, I appologize.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 8:23 PM   #3

I like them Paul...Do any sharpening on them?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:04 PM   #4

Thanks, Ed.Very little sharpening was done because each of them is a near 100% crop, and frankly, because I thought oversharpening would weaken them. The small birds were taken at a distance of about 30 feet....the crows at a much greater distance as they were high in a tree that is about 75 or so feet away.

On the second crow shot, in particular, I gave away some sharpness to bring light up and get the eye to come out more. Below, you will see a re-edit using a different sharpening flow.

It's obvious I need help since, according to the previous post, my photos are not up to the standards of this site.
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5

paul, these are a little flat.. that's just digital photography. don't know the software you're using but just a levels adj and a tad USM will bring them out much better. i may have gone overboard with this but it's a quickie..
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:09 PM   #6

Roy, I use PSP 12. A couple of points. I prefer the level of sharpness that I had in the phoebe to the one you offer. I don't know how it would translate to print because I print so few of my shots, but, at least on my monitor, your version is oversharpened. However, your edit did show me another flaw that may contribute to the perception of a sharpening problem.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm assuming you made adjustments to color balance and saturation. When I looked at yours, I much preferred your colors, went back, and re-edited, put levels about where they were before, dropped saturation and made a color balance adjustment...put through noiseware...then applied USM at 4-42-0 (pixels-strength-clipping). This is the result.