Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:12 AM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm like Scott - FF and MF just doesn't seem practical for me. A friend of mine bought the C 5D mkII and showed it to me with some pictures he took. The pictures were really awesome, but my arms got really tired just reviewing the pictures sitting down. There's no way I could manage to hand-hold that heavy of a camera for any length of time. I'll stick with my K20 - while I love the extra quality and am willing to give up quite a bit to get it, there is a limit beyond which I just can't go.
When I read this I had to laugh. I'm showing my age here, But… When I first bought my Nikon FM back in 1980 it felt so small and light compared to my Praktica, that I immediately bought a motor drive just to beef it up and give it some balance. Now today I have the same problem with digital. They all feel like toys. I bought a Nikon D50, my pinky finger dangles below it not knowing what to do. And it's so light I find it hard to hold the camera still. I thought about buying a battery grip. But that seems like a waste of money for me so I made my own grip just to ad something to hold on to. It's kind of cool actually because I used my Bogen tripod plate to hold it in place and that is recessed so the camera can still be set on a flat surface. My son says I should make more and sell them on Ebay. But I would still rather use my FM (if only the made a digital back) Anyway it's interesting how important a cameras "feel" is. And how that will very from person to person.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:14 PM   #12

This is the camera that Pentax (backed by Hoya) should make! <grin>

It's probably not much more complex than the cameras that they are making now, but a medium format camera can sell for a lot more money.

http://www.vistek.ca/marketing/enews...phy/pro09.html

If Pentax brought out this camera at a much lower price than other competition (but much more than a dSLR), they could sell fewer cameras, make more money. Have a bigger profit margin with this camera.

And Hoya's interest would be that people that would buy this camera would buy multiple lenses (not just stick with the kit lens.) (Not that this camera would have a kit lens.) A growing market for glass!!!<grin>

Unfortunately for me, I'd never be able to afford it.

But I still think it would be a good business decision for Pentax / Hoya.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:44 PM   #13

200 units initially marketed in Japan is nothing and there are¬* some bound to be shipped outside of Japan to diehard fans with a lot of 645 ¬* lenses gathering dust.

Also Japanese yen is high and there is not even one Japanese made MF bodies¬* available at all as of now.

I can predict if it is priced around $10K, the 200 units will be gone in no time.¬* In case if there is no more unit produced,¬* those 200 units will be¬* very much sought after¬* in ebay.¬* Chance will be very high that it will be¬* SR equipped as well even though they are very much studio equipment with ample light

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:43 AM   #14

Well, I would never be able to afford anything like this. So, I don't even want to look.

But, I do know that whenever I tell people (non-camera people) that my camera is a Pentax they say they didn't even know Pentax was still in business. It's a shame. But, then, allows me to buy more lenses reasonably priced.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:04 AM   #15

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Well, I would never be able to afford anything like this.¬* So, I don't even want to look.

But, I do know that whenever I tell people (non-camera people) that my camera is a Pentax they say they didn't even know Pentax was still in business.¬* It's a shame.¬* But, then, allows me to buy more lenses reasonably priced.

Patty
I know what you mean. In some forums (tpmg or Steve non brand forum) I just post images. Quite a few times I was asked what I was shooting with. If people feel like getting the latest gear instead of upgrading their skill that is fine with me. We can keep surprising people that Pentax is stil kicking.

And getting back to this 645 subject. With one big stroke, Pentax can at least on paper and resolution bring back the name to the forefront of everything. That is in spite of the latest Canon and Nikon FF being pretty close to the resolution of the MF

Quote:
There's no way I could manage to hand-hold that heavy of a camera for any length of time.
With in-body SR and a monopod, I could see that it is manageable even for Harriet. But whether we want to spend money on the camera body ($10K min) is something else.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:33 PM   #16

"With one big stroke, Pentax can at least on paper and resolution bring back the name to the forefront of everything. That is in spite of the latest Canon and Nikon FF being pretty close to the resolution of the MF"

Daniel, I agree with you 100%.

This camera can really change the "image" of Pentax.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote