Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:31 PM   #1

Hope this link work

http://photo.net/bboard/uploaded-fil...ad_id=42167684

That was the working prototype of the 645D - well now in a backburner though
I love the way that the sensor can pop out like that . Wiping it would be straightforward. Also people can swap sensor just like we swap CPU of our PC.
Beautiful piece of engineering.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2008, 1:26 PM   #2

Interesting, Daniel!! Guess that might be the future of dslr's. Certainly would make cleaning the sensor a lot more convenient.
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:00 PM   #3

i've always thought that. keep most of the body and make the sensor and new features changable. buy the whole thing for major upgrades..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:48 PM   #4

More LBA for those with a ton of 645 lenses!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:42 PM   #5

The beauty of engineering for the company is a bit different than the beauty of engineering for the consumer! Imagine how great it would be if there was a standard lens mount??!!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:09 PM   #6

Hi Daniel,

Interesting indeed! I personally hope that Pentax revisits this MF design instead of spending the resources on a 36x24 sensored Pro level body. This would probably be more practical with an upsized K20 type Samsung sensor. Regardless, this is just an interesting mental excercise for me since I'd be very unlikely to buy one.

Eliminating the crop factor would force me to start looking at even longer lens options for my main use, and that would be very expensive, so I'd like to see them continue development of the APS-C formatted bodies.

I can see the 645D snatching some market share from C/N in the pro market, but I fear that a FF body would mostly attract just a small segment of Pentax DSLR upgraders instead of causing C/N users to switch, and would end up losing them money in the long run. I seriously doubt I'd be a FF adopter unless the body could be priced at under $2000, and I'd have to think long and hard about that. . . and that's very unlikely.

Purely a self-serving attitude, but I think we all do this to some degree. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:36 PM   #7

Daniel

I had not seen that particular photo of the prototype 645D..Interesting to say the least..

Over on Pentax Forums several days ago was a thread on this same subject..The OP provided a link to a press release from Pentax stating that the 645 digital camera project was being scrapped..

The really interesting part of the announcement was that Pentax stated that although the 645D was being scrapped, Pentax was moving forward with R&D as regards to medium format photography..No specifics, unfortunately..No word whether digital, film, or both..

And kinda shockingly,that at least for the immediate future they would continue to manufacture & sell both the 645NII camera, the 645 FA & FA* auto-focus lenses, the 67II camera, & the 67 & 67 M* manual-focus lenses..

So the good news for medium format film users is that the two most affordable camera systems in MF will be made & sold for at least a few more years..

Unfortunately, due to restrictive lead content legislation, buyers in the EU & the USA will have to purchase any new 645NII or 67II Pentax cameras & lenses through Canadian or Asian sellers..

But, at least they will be available for purchase for a little while longer..

I'm looking to purchase a 645NII body & several lenses sometime later this year..

Is there anyone on this forum that owns & uses either the 645NII or 67II camera??..

Thanks, Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:16 PM   #8

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Daniel,

Interesting indeed! I personally hope that Pentax revisits this MF design instead of spending the resources on a 36x24 sensored Pro level body. This would probably be more practical with an upsized K20 type Samsung sensor. Regardless, this is just an interesting mental excercise for me since I'd be very unlikely to buy one.

I can see the 645D snatching some market share from C/N in the pro market, but I fear that a FF body would mostly attract just a small segment of Pentax DSLR upgraders instead of causing C/N users to switch, and would end up losing them money in the long run. I seriously doubt I'd be a FF adopter unless the body could be priced at under $2000, and I'd have to think long and hard about that. . . and that's very unlikely.

Scott
I am not surprised that Pentax will revisit the D645 scenario. Look at D3. A year ago who would believe that Nikon has a low MP / FF body?
645D may not even make even if it materialises. But the boost in Pentax's profile in the pro sector is very crucial in marketing dslr/lenses/accessories. K20D is very competitive and still it cannot establish Pentax in the semi-pro market. Pentax is deemed to be not proffesional enough. Even at the time of writing, we still cannot buy a 70-200mmF2.8 off the shelf. Pentax cannot claim dominance at least on paper in any sector at all. With the advance in electronics, 645D is not something that is outlandish at all.

Daniel
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:26 PM   #9

New posting of the prototype resurrected from the backburner

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_278069.html

200 will be made and sold in Japan initially

Daniel
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:38 PM   #10

I'm like Scott - FF and MF just doesn't seem practical for me. A friend of mine bought the C 5D mkII and showed it to me with some pictures he took. The pictures were really awesome, but my arms got really tired just reviewing the pictures sitting down. There's no way I could manage to hand-hold that heavy of a camera for any length of time. I'll stick with my K20 - while I love the extra quality and am willing to give up quite a bit to get it, there is a limit beyond which I just can't go.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote