Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:46 AM   #1

i always found that the neck strap that slr cameras came with, to be bulky and always got in my way. for some years now, i have been using a cell phone wrist strap, but for some reason that has become questionable.

can some one shed some light on this topic

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:56 AM   #2

You are right, the neck strap is big and bulky. But the camera can get quite heavy with a long lens or a zoom lens so it needs to be strong enough to hold all that weight especially while you are in places where the camera is bouncing around and putting a lot of pressure on the strap. It also needs to be a bit wide otherwise it will dig into your neck. There have been times when I have been hanging over the side of a boat, or a bridge or out a window when that nice big strap gives me a great deal of comfort! Besides that the company needs a properly sizedstrap so they can write their name in big letters!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:38 AM   #3

To put it simple, I hate a neck straps. Got a descent one but ... the only use it gets is when I attach it to my backpack.

just after getting the k10 a while back I also tried a hand strap

and they are not bad but with a bit larger lens there not my favorite way to carry a camera, in the end it ended in the garbage bin.

Now I use something like that cell phone strap you use, just as a protection that the camera can't be accentually dropped and I keep walking around with the camera in my hand.

I'm just asking myself why is it "becoming questionable"

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:10 AM   #4

Wear what you are comfortable with...Don't be a slave to what ever fashion of the day pops up. I use the OEM strap now but plan on upgrading to this one Motorman suggested and now owns.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...RODUCT_SUB_ID=

But go with what you like and fell comfortable with. I know toting the Bigma and the K10D around your neck for a while and you will appreciate a wider strap but if you mainly use the Wider angled lens and the newer plastic lens then a wrist strap is plenty comfortable!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:24 PM   #5

I'm just asking myself why is it "becoming questionable"

Ronny

i like the phone strap cause it is small , and really just use it ,should in case something happens and my fingers open up that at least the strap would stop gravity,,,, but yet i was looking at the size of the thread that makes the loop and wondered how strong is it

also, always wanted to now how much of us out there, really hates a camera strap or was i the only one

Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:31 PM   #6

op/tech pro for sure. i've got two straps and 3 sets of lowers. they have quick releases. one set goes on the cam, another on the tammy 300/2.8 and the other on a mono or tripod. you can't go wrong. be sure to get the pro model, big difference

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:32 PM   #7

dafiryde wrote:

also, always wanted to now how much of us out there, really *hates a camera strap or was i the only one

[/quote]

Hi dafiryde,

I've always disliked neckstraps and use Camdapter grip straps with integrated tripod head QRs. They're expensive, but absolutely top quality.

My main objection is the way neckstraps allow the camera to swing around, so I imagine that one of those straps that holds the camera against the body would be better, but I'm so used to having the camera in my hand all the time, I see no reason to change now.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:00 AM   #8

snostorm wrote

Camdapter grip straps with integrated tripod head QRs

do you have a pic on this

Dave
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:21 AM   #9

Hi Dave,

The pics on the site are much better than anything I have:

http://www.camdapter.com/

I have both an Arca Swiss and Manfrotto RC2 base, and both a suede and a top grain cowhide strap, and have used them on my DS, K10, and K20 so if you have any specific questions, I'd probably be able to answer them.

I've also used the type that Ronny was probably referring to, and, in fact, still do on my FZ30

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:59 AM   #10

Scott,

those Camdapter grip straps look better/larger than the one I had. My biggest problem with it was that it was to narrow.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote