Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:48 PM   #1

Hi All,

Had sunshine and temps in the low 50's, so I took off for the Nature Center, as it seems to be one of the few places that is pretty much a sure thing this time of year.

I got there, and as I approached the feeders, I spied these guys snacking on the seeds on the ground

I wasn't sure of the range of a skunk, so I didn't venture closer until they left.

The feeders at this place consistently attract more species than any of the others that I've seen.

Chickadees

Male Purple Finch with a bad eye

White-throated Sparrow

Male Downy WP

Female Downy WP

White-breasted Nuthatch

A couple of male Cardinals hung around the periphery, but wouldn't come closer. This is about a 1/4 frame crop

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:39 PM   #2

Hey Scott, very nice series! I'm leaning towards the chickadees as my favorites. Are these with the FA*300? & the TC? They are sharp.

Thanks for sharing,
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:04 PM   #3

Really nice sharp shots Scott, especially that nuthatch.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:38 PM   #4

Looks like a fun place to go to take photos. Nice captures which I expect were with the K20D!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 1:03 PM   #5

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Hey Scott, very nice series! I'm leaning towards the chickadees as my favorites. Are these with the FA*300? & the TC? They are sharp.
Hi Ron,

Thanks! All were with the FA*300 + F1.7x AFA and the K20, except the male Downy and the Cardinal, which were with the Tamron SP300/2.8 + stacked Tam 140f + f1.7x AFA. I was using a tripod, so I didn't change the SR focal length since the SR was turned off.

Scott
Old Mar 13, 2008, 1:21 PM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Looks like a fun place to go to take photos. Nice captures which I expect were with the K20D!
Hi Tom,

I've been using the K20 exclusively since I got it. I want to get all the settings sorted out so if I run into an unusual opportunity, I hopefully won't be fumbling with the camera and miss the shot.

The K20 offers some different options for settings with the new sensor. I'm currently playing with lowering contrast and saturation and using the in-camera high ISO NR to see if I can use ISO 800-3200 with lower noise, but still get acceptable sharpness and detail.

PP with the new sensor is different also. The larger files and different image characteristics allow for using different techniques to gain the results that I want -- especially in prints. The more images I have to process, the more I learn.

Scott
Old Mar 13, 2008, 1:30 PM   #7

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Really nice sharp shots Scott, especially that nuthatch.
Hi Tim,

Thanks.

My impression so far, is that the K20 makes my part of the job a bit easier, with what seems to be more consistent focusing, significantly more detail, and the ability to use higher sensitivity, I might be able to handhold more shots, which gives me considerably more freedom, despite my recent investment in tripods and heads.

I seem to be getting more keepers, but time will tell. . .

Scott