Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2008, 1:11 AM   #11

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

The Eurasian Crane, Grus grus, and the Sandhill Crane, Grus canadensis, are two different species but presumably very close. Excepting the behaviour, as it seems from your experiences!

Tom, I've been thinking about building a hide, but haven't gotten my butt out to do it yet. As they only park in the middle of large fields it would be difficult to get close anyway.

Terry, the only way I could get as close as you would be to go to a zoo, but I don't know about any that has cranes. Very nice shot.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:26 AM   #12

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

They got a most peculiar behaviour. As youngsters, they dance! It's part of the coupling process, and takes place before they are mature to breed. But they find a partner this way, and remain faithful for the rest of their life.

Pic quality isn't the best, but hey they were shot at ~200 metres with a 600 mm lens and cropped to 100% (*istDS) .

Kjell
Wow 200m or 200 yards away and heavy crop!! They look almost like the Great Blue Heron in N Am. I would love to have chance to handle such powerful lens. Great shots and thanks for sharing.
GBH are not exactly shy but I always manage to get closer for shots

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:29 PM   #13

Very good Long Shot Kjell! Harder to do and get these results than most folks know!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:45 PM   #14

Excellent result under the circumstances. Beautiful birds, too.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:11 AM   #15

I've noticed that this lens, (A*600mm 5.6) which is as top quality as it gets, don't deliver the best results at or near infinity. Can it maybe be an "optical qality" not of the lens, but of the air? Results from shorter distances are superb. (Sample below)

I haven't been able to try it stopped down substantially, I guess that would require a very sunny day with snow on the ground. Any thoughts or experience, anyone? Tom, you have a 500/4,5. Have you tested it's infinity capabilities?

Kjell

Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:21 AM   #16

Kjell, my 500 works fine at infinity, but the air quality is a big part of how sharp the images are since as it gets warmer there is a lot of distortion caused by the air even without taking into consideration any dust particles.

Also, movement is magnified by the longer shots and a major tripod is required and sometimes sand bags on the lower tripod frame does wonders. The close shots show your lens is capable of high quality images, so it must be some other issue and my guess would be slight camera movement.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:04 PM   #17

It's funny that you mentioned the air as a problem - I was using the 300 to try to take a picture of something that was probably about a half mile away and was shooting over a number of rooftops of stores and restaurants. The vertical lines were all wavy. I know what you mean about air causing distortion problems.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:00 PM   #18

As came home from work today I heard a herd of cranes just nearby. It wasn't hard to locate them, so I put my boots on and grabbed the camera with the 600 mm+2XTC already mounted on the tripod.Got around100 shots, but most of them are not very exciting, just cranes grazing like cows. This one made me happy though. Shot at around 100 mtrs.

Kjell
Attached Images