Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:12 PM   #1

The migrating cranes are coming from Germany heading north, where they nest. A few, very few, remain around here for the entire summer. Three of them are resting here before they continue. But they are oh so difficult to come near. They position themselves in the middle of large fields, and fly off as soon as they notice anything.

I sneaked through the forest and stopped some 10 metres from the edge, but even then they noticed me and got nervous. They soon forgot about me though and got on with what cranes do on a field.

They got a most peculiar behaviour. As youngsters, they dance! It's part of the coupling process, and takes place before they are mature to breed. But they find a partner this way, and remain faithful for the rest of their life.

Pic quality isn't the best, but hey they were shot at ~200 metres with a 600 mm lens and cropped to 100% (*istDS) .

Kjell

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:13 PM   #2

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:31 PM   #3

Nice capture Kjell, those look like our sandhill cranes, most leave here in the spring, but a few stay around all year.

Terry
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:54 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very captivating images! I am envious that you live in an area that's in the migratory path of these beautiful birds! Please post more.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:54 PM   #5

sadly i can see the resemblance in my own dance abilities. the crane actually has better moves!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:53 PM   #6

Yes they do look just like the Sandhill Cranes that come back here for the summer each year. Those are pretty good captures of a really great spring time dance the cranes do.

I find that if I watch the ones around here in the spring I can find where they like to land and then I can get there before they do and get some good shots. Turkey hunting camo is the best for keeping them from seeing you if you have any that kind of stuff over there.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:18 PM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Yes they do look just like the Sandhill Cranes that come back here for the summer each year. Those are pretty good captures of a really great spring time dance the cranes do.

I find that if I watch the ones around here in the spring I can find where they like to land and then I can get there before they do and get some good shots. Turkey hunting camo is the best for keeping them from seeing you if you have any that kind of stuff over there.

Tom
Ya'll must be pretty mean to your sandhill cranes to make them so shy! :lol: Around here if they decide to cross a road you have to beep your horn to hurry themalong and they routinely walk through back yards along golf courses. There are none in my neighborhood but where my parents live you could do portrait work with them.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:35 PM   #8

Same here Tim, I had two next to the car the other day down at Viera Wetlands, They were not the least worried about me.

Terry
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:33 PM   #9

Hi Kjell,

Nice Captures! I've been chasing sightings of Sandhills around here for over a year -- Every time I hear about them, it's always "Oh yeah, there were a couple of them right over there yesterday." Argggggh. . . . and you got them dancing!

That A*600/5.6 (that is the lens, right?) is something else too. . . This is pretty impressive @ 100%.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:05 AM   #10

Scott,

My Sister lives in Madison, WI, not that far from you, and she says their thick there in the summer, I would look west of Chicago out in farmland. Here is the two I saw the other day, they were like 10 yards from the car.

Terry