Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1

Hi fellow Pentaxians and friends,

Today I felt like a kid with a new toy. Actually we're all kids at heart; the only difference between kids and us, grown ups, is the price of our toys. Anyway, I just wanted to post a few pictures taken with the K20D and the DA 10-17mm lens. It is very unusual to have snow in our area at lower altitude. It snowed yesterday and I just had to go out there and put it on film…I mean on a memory card. While there, I found an old abandoned house and couldn't resist jumping over the fence even if there was a "No trespassing" sign. You have to do whatever it takes to get the pictures.

I just got my K20D last Monday and I received the DA 10-17MM last week as well. The lens was purchased on EBay. It was posted for $350.00 with "Buy it now". I didn't wait and purchased it right then before someone else had time to snatch it away. That's the best price I have seen for it.

[align=justify][/align]

As for or the pictures above, I played with the saturation in Lightroom, but the K20D is a dream camera. All pictures were taken in RAW and processed in Lightroom. The results were transferred as JPEG files to Photoshop Element V.6 and reduced to a resolution of 100 pixels per inch with a height of 600 pixels. It a small file and it e-mails or posts easily.

Some reviewers will trash the K20D while some other will praise its qualities. But if you have a chance to try the K20D, you will know right away that this camera is an evolution of the revolution that was the K10D. I could go on for hours, but the "proof is in the pudding" really applies to this camera. I tell you, Pentax did it again.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque – pentaxdslrs.blogspot

Pentax Socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:00 AM   #2

I love the way sky looks with such a wide angle lens. but I don't really like the distorsion, my Sigma 10-20mm contrlos it much better. But apart from that I love those pictures.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3

Gotta say I like all these pics.

The lastone in particular - the way the super saturated sky is offset by the great cloud pattern and the framing of the shot beofre it - with the feathered looking edges it resembles an old style painting..

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4

These have some brilliant colors in them. I would love to see them a little larger; 700-800 pixels wide works really well here. Please keep sharing.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:27 PM   #5

Really like those, Yvon. That sky is great and the composition is strong on all of them.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:02 PM   #6

Yvon

I share your excitement as well. My favorite is the last one. Are they all donw at 10mm? Is that a fisheye lens not rectilinear one?
Good work

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:12 AM   #7

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Yvon

I share your excitement as well. My favorite is the last one. Are they all donw at 10mm? Is that a fisheye lens not rectilinear one?
Good work

Daniel
Daniel,

Most are at 10mm or very near 10mm. The lens is not rectilinear, it's a fish eye lens. I found that by tilting the camera up or down, depending on your position, you can keep the horizon line straight. Byavoiding vertical lines on the edges of the frame, you can get away with almost no curvature.

The barn doors were difficult as I had no room to move, hense the curvature. But in that particular picture, I do like the effect. I guess is a matter of opinion. I asked myself "Would I hang this photograph on my wall?" My answer to me was yes. For people, it doesn't work at all or very rarely. I suppose if you take a picture of Esquimos inside an igloo, it would be fine.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
Pentax Socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:28 AM   #8

These are some of the best shots I have seen from the fisheye. I also have the same lens, and it is somewhat remarkable that you can get near rectlinear images from it, without the large fisheye effect.

To tell you the truth, I can not choose my favorite shot - I like all of them, and you did a wonderful job with the processing along with the composition. I would be delighted to hang any or all of them on my wall.

Actually, in all fairness - in this forum there are so many excellent shots posted from so many wonderful photographers, I just did not want to short or leave anyone out. There is a lot of talent here, and I never get around to posting on everything that I see and like.

Wonderful Job.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:59 AM   #9

i like all these photos
you have used the lens and its effect very well
the skies are really well done

i have been tossing up fetting this lens
or the Sigma 10-20 which has a different effect on the subject

both are similar prices here (around $700 au)
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:06 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Not sure what it is about this lens that produces so much saturation in the sky even though no polarizing filter can be used with this lens. I am a user of this lens (with similar results on saturation and consequently a big fan of the results from it. Good series by the way!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote