Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 17, 2008, 9:22 AM   #1

Not likely to buy another toy- pardon me!- tool for some time, I wondered how far I could venture with my K10D! Shot the below iso 1600 picture @ AV mode dialing the exposure compensation to (- 2 ) so as to increase the shutter speed by 4 times. Then I opened the image at the PS to bump up the Exposure by 2 steps, and then did a slight noise removal : )
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:24 PM   #2

Got the same idea (problem) - so I'll have to (play) work with the one I've got, and your shot makes it easier. Looks real good.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:20 PM   #3

It looks very good. I would never buy another DSLR just to use IOS 6400, so I find your method to work perfectly for the one time I may want to use a ISO that high.

I would be interested in how that method would work in very low light where ISO 6400 would most likely be used.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:25 PM   #4

That shows what can be done with the right techniques. Looking at the photo one would never know you gave it any special treatment. Very well done.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:19 PM   #5

Interesting experiment!

And what are you interested in, besides photography?:G

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:38 PM   #6

looks good.. i think you got lucky pushing 2 stops.. mine never look that good..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:59 PM   #7

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Got the same idea (problem) - so I'll have to (play) work with the one I've got, and your shot makes it easier. Looks real good.

Ronny
Thank you, Ronny! Would be delighted to see your outputs and exchance opinions : )

.................................................. ........

ennacacwrote:
Quote:
It looks very good. I would never buy another DSLR just to use IOS 6400, so I find your method to work perfectly for the one time I may want to use a ISO that high.

I would be interested in how that method would work in very low light where ISO 6400 would most likely be used.
Tom, thank you for yourencouragingfeedback! This pic. was shot in the relatively dim corner of my livingroom. One good trick could be shifting to spot meteringso as tobe able to pose on darker portions to avoid the notorious under exposure of the K10D; )

Lyrics51wrote:

Quote:
That shows what can be done with the right techniques. Looking at the photo one would never know you gave it any special treatment. Very well done.
Happy to readyour kind appreciation, Glenn! It's really fun to share my humble experiments with fellow Pentaxians : ) Guess, there's much much to see!

.................................................. .....................

bilybiancawrote:

Quote:
Interesting experiment!

And what are you interested in, besides photography?:G
Thank you Kjell! Next time I can shoot lower shelves upon request :lol:Ahh..I rememberspending halfmy salary on suchbooksin my lecturing and penmanship! days in Istanbul, especially when I did not have a proper ADSL subscription(nostalgia struck:!

.................................................. ......

robay wrote:

Quote:
looks good.. i think you got lucky pushing 2 stops.. mine never look that good..
As I wrote above, one good trick could be shifting to spot meteringso as tobe able to pose on darker portions:idea:Btw, I think Pentax has made some slight improvement in later production line since my earlier K10D which I hadthem replacewas not really as good as this one (regarding the banding noise pattern issue); ) Anyway,as they say practice makes perfect...So, I'd be looking forward to seeing yours, too!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 9:17 PM   #8

In the ongoing debate between equipment and ingenuity, score one more for ingenuity. This example shows what can be done. (In film days we called it "push-processing")

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:18 PM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
In the ongoing debate between equipment and ingenuity, score one more for ingenuity. This example shows what can be done. (In film days we called it "push-processing")

Ira
Thank you so much forthe informative and supportive feedback : )

So,it was called 'push-processing' in film days...Surely, such a bit of useful information goes a looong way! Oh,once again I'm feelinglucky to have the facilities of a dark room at my finger tips!

Well, encouraged by your kind interest here's one more iso 6400 try : )This time taken undera dim corner of my livingroomafter 3 oclock in the morning!
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:23 PM   #10

Below is the exif sent separately, since the noise removal software delates it
Attached Images