Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:30 PM   #11

Your right, if you look at Steve's old camera reviews, a 2MP camera under $800 was considered a mega bargain and most had only internal memory enough for 150 shots if even that many. Last week I got a used 6mp Fuji E-550 pocket cam in great shape for $15.00, it even shoot raw. Listed new for $499 just 3 1/2 years ago. I wonder how cheap new cameras can go. I'm discovering that more MPs doesn't meab better shots, sensor size is the key.

Barry
Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:23 PM   #12

pretty good price. welcome to pentax and the darkside.. you'll enjoy your new cam and the learning curve it presents.. you've also got agreat set of lenses to practice with.. the kit lens is great and the vivitars are too. what are their serial numbers?? i've found the 75-205 to be a very nice lens..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:26 PM   #13

The Anti-shake is in the camera and works on the sensor...Any lens mounted to the camera becomes an anti-shake lens. Hope you enjoy it!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:45 PM   #14

Hobigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The Anti-shake is in the camera and works on the sensor...Any lens mounted to the camera becomes an anti-shake lens. Hope you enjoy it!

Dawg
How about the auto focus using Vivitar lenes? You guys have been a great help. Thanks, I know this cam is popular so why are they're so few threads and topics about it? Originally I was going to post this topic in the Pentax DSLR forum but it's even slow in there. HMMM
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:00 PM   #15

barry,
that's where you're posting.. what part of dallas are you in??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:19 PM   #16

Just south of downtown, off Colorado. Feel like going on a photoshoot together? Believe it or not, I don't know anyone in Dallas who shares my interest in photography. My e-mail addy is [email protected].

Barry
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:58 PM   #17

Barry
I would worry too much ove the autofcus thing with the Vivitars. From the ebay details it is hard to tell their age.

However it is possible to identify the age of many older Vivtar lenses from their serial numner as ther is year code in there, that's why Roy asked about the serial numbers.

I lot us here are fans of the older manual focus Vivitars, especilly the early Series 1 lenses.

The autofocus sensor still works on the camera in manul focus mode and will give an indication in the viewfinder when it thinks the focus is correct.

You still have to adjust the focus ring by hand. Some consider manaul focus lenses have a more accurate mechanical focusing sytem.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:15 PM   #18

I used to have Vivitar lenes when I had my Pentax Spotmatic 35mm when I was younger..much younger I was thinking about reselling the K1000 he's throwing in as part of the package, does anyone know what kind of battery it takes and if they still make it?

Barry
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:06 PM   #19

Barry in Dallas wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking about reselling the K1000 he's throwing in as part of the package, does anyone know what kind of battery it takes and if they still make it?
Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on what looks to be a nice deal.

The K1000 uses a 1.5 Volt silver-oxide (A76, SR44) or alkaline (LR44).

There are a number of sources online for even the very obsolete s-o batteries, and since the only thing it powers in this body is the light meter, a battery lasts a very long time.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:28 PM   #20

Thanks Scott,
Just looked at people selling the K1000 on Ebay, some are fetching high prices for it and getting it. If I remember right, the camera listed for less than $200 new. I just ordered some A74 batteries. Thanks for the info!!

Barry