Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:59 PM   #1

Hey Everyone,
Just got me this cam off Ebay since the package price was too good to pass up
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123

I've been using Fuji bridge cams in the past and they've been good but feel like it's time to go advanced Does the construction hold up after long term usage? Is it a good low light cam? I'm also used to shooting a lot at low ISOs like 64 and 100 and the K100D only starts at 200, think my sharpness will be affected doing macro work? Sorry about all the questions and I have read Steve's review but I just wanted your user feedback to see if I really got a good deal, the Ebay seller has a good rating BTW

Thanx in advance
Barry

Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:37 PM   #2

Barry, it seems Santa has come very early (or late) for you. By golly, what a bargain!!

The low light performance will depend on how tolerant you are to noise in your pics. I find that I can make a 6 X 4 print from 3200 ISO without noise being obtrusive and at 1600 ISO, I have to look hard for it. Of course, a lot depends on subject matter, size of print and whether you view the pics exclusively on your monitor.

For me, up to 800 ISO, pics are noise free.

I hope you enjoy your steal--sorry, grand larceny!!

Almar, K110D.

Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:38 PM   #3

Welcome Barry,

looks like a nice collection you got from ebay.

For as far as my knowlegde goes for the k100d, its a good low light shooter, only I would advise to shoot in raw because you'll get more out of the end result.

The reason why you normally shoot at iso64 and iso100 is to keep the noise down as much as possible. Propably the k100d will have the same noise at iso200 (or even less) than the other at iso64.

Now I'm not going to say that the fuji is a bad brigde cam, but they (all of them) have noise problems, unless you've got enough light.

Hope to see some shot's

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 3:19 PM   #4

Thanks Guys.
I'm sure I'll enjoy the cam. Used to have a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm when I was young. How well does the "anti shake" work? I do have some issues with my shoulders and kept me from buying the "K110D", I heard it's not that heavy so that shouldn't be that much of a problem. I'll send some pics the minute it gets out the box and lens attached. While I'm waiting, could you guys post some low light shots you've taken with the EXIF intact.

Thanks
Barry
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:23 PM   #5

Barry

Welcome to the Pentax world.

I still use my older *istDS and the construction is still holding up.

The pic is at ISO 3200 without any noise reduction and looks OK. I normally use noise ninja on most shots although this one has not been through that process. It does clean it up noticeably.

The 200 ISO does not matter, Roy (Robar) for one does marvellous macro work with his Pentax DSLR.

I have not really tested the shake reduction on my K10D but I do not seem to have any problems with camera shake on hand held shots with slow shutter speed.

Phil

Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:29 PM   #6

Barry, here is an ISO 3200 pic. No artistic or technical merit is claimed for it!

Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:36 PM   #7

Phil,
Thanks a bunch!! Could you look at the link I posted to the Ebay item I won, does auto focus and anti-shake work with the Vivitar lenes he's including? I'm still shocked I got the whole package so cheap. I'll probably resell the K1000 35mm, who uses film anymore?? LOL

Barry
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:41 PM   #8

Almar, that's nice, My Fuji s8000fd can go up to 6400 ISO but it's useless along with 3200, Looks like Pentax is up to the Challenge Like I said to Phil, I hope the seller's Vivitar lenses work well with the camera, he said he didn't use it enough to find out. Said he dropped out of photography school. LOL

Barry

Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:49 PM   #9

The Fuji s8000 at 1600 ISO and that's doing some PP, pretty bad eh?
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:07 PM   #10

Might just make a reasonable 6 X 4, Barry. And just think, not all that long ago, even a result at an ISO like that was almost science fiction.