Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to the K20D
I already own a K10D and cannot justify the cost of the K20D 3 27.27%
I already own a K10D/K100D and will be upgrading to the K20D 4 36.36%
I am selling all my Pentax gear and buying another brand. 0 0%
I would rather spend the money on new lenses 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:36 PM   #1

Just thought I would throw this out there, I for one have a dilemma I can update to the K20D or I can buy the DA 200mm f/2.8 . what would you do.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:38 PM   #2

I'm trying for a 300mm f/4 or f/2.8 myself...The lenses will out last the cameras by many years and for many camera upgrades...Get good lens first-- then think of upgrading the camera!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:08 PM   #3

i look at it like this...

a 14.6, 10.2, or 6.1MP camera with a crappy lens will still take crappy pictures no matter what the photographer does.

a 14.6, 10.2, or 6.1MP camera with a good lens will enable the photographer to take good pictures that may not be possible without such a lens.

the body just records what comes through the lens.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4

I have been waiting for a newer version of the K10D, but the K20D doesn't excite me the way I expected it to although it does produce some very sharp images, I have not decided what I will do right now. I am not sure how much I like what the CMOS sensor does compared to the K10D even though it is sharper.

The DS is working OK for me although I could use some more resolution and faster focus, but it does some nice work for only 6MP. I guess I will wait and see what others can do with the K20D before I decide what I will do about getting one.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:32 AM   #5

There is one question missing, as is obvious from Tom's answer. "I own an older Pentax DSLR and will/will not upgrade to a K20D".

Like Tom i have a DS, and have been very satisfied with it. I jumped the K10D, waiting for a second version with better high ISO performance, and I think the K20D is just about all I was waiting for. I will buy one as soon as it is available here. (It's been released with different kit lenses, but I can't get a body only yet. Tomorrow they say.)

My DS is ready for a major service treatment, and I will send it in when I've got the K20D. I'll keep it for TTL flash photo and as a second body. Just too good to sell or put on the shelf.

I think the prices of some attractive lenses will come down, now that the new DA* lenses are released. There have been three A*300 mm f4 on eekbay recently, and the prices seem to come down a bit. Not low enough for me though.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:33 PM   #6

Hi Terry,

Certainly a difficult decision. The stock answer is as Dawg has stated -- a camera body is good until the next upgrade -- a great lens is forever, especially a Pentax * lens. IMO.

However. . .

The K20 is, I feel, a more than evolutionary upgrade from the K10. Here's how I see it:

In every sensor upgrade that I've ever experienced there has been some tradeoff between the higher resolution and IQ in some way. With the K20 compared to either previous Sony sensors (both 6 and 10 MP), I see better resolution in addition to better overall IQ with a wider range of useable ISO sensitivity -- a definite first for me, and a very rare occurance, IMO.

So far, I've shot quite a few frames in the field at up to ISO 320, and the files are a dream to work with in PP. Detail can be brought up with Focus Magic and PSP High Pass Sharpening without worrying about noise at all. The most I've had to do (and only in the more extreme situations) is apply a Gaussian blur of .2 radius to smooth out skies a touch, and this leaves more detail and texture than any NR algorithm that I've seen, even at the lowest settings -- and I've tried them all.

I'm a bit perplexed by this, but the K20 also seems to focus better than either the DS or the K10. I'm not talking speed here, but accuracy. It seems that a number of well reviewed lenses that have not met expectations on either the DS or K10 work great on the K20 -- some needed focus point correction, but some didn't. It might be said that either one or both of my older bodies need recalibration, but if that were the case, there wouldn't be any lenses like the FA*300/4.5 (and the majority of my AF lenses) which will focus dead on with all the bodies.

A short list of lenses that are noticeably better on the K20 are:

DA*50-135 -- back focuses on the K10, not so bad on the DS, but with the K20, without any focus correction, I can finally see why some users have said it gives "prime-like" IQ.

Tokina 20-35/2.8 AT-X Pro. So bad with the DS and K10, I sent it in to be recalibrated (only lens I've done that with). They said it was within specs, and some lenses designed for film just don't work that well for digital. With max focus correction on the K20, this lens now performs well -- at least close to what I've seen in reviews.

Tokina 80-400 AT-X AFII. This lens was a big surprise. I was able to get a mint copy of this lens a bit after it was discontinued, but as luck would have it, a mint A*300/4, and then an E copy of the FA*300/4 became available to me for very reasonable money within a month's time, so I ended up buying both (ouch!). Either of these 300s with a 1.4x TC just smoked the Tok at @ 400mm, with little or no loss in speed, so the Tok was pretty much put aside.

I just shot a series at the nature center with the 80-400 and consistently got results like this (PP'd to taste and resized):

After seeing what kinds of bids this lens has been attracting on eekbay, I was definitely leaning towards selling it. Now I'm not so sure. . . So far, it seems to be overperforming (it's always been considered soft at the long end) with the K20 -- I need to shoot it more in some more varied conditions --

The 21 fps burst mode is going to be useful. The Live View might not be as useless as I had previously thought. Many of the K10 features have been filled out, and there's really a lot more adjustability than it would seem by reading the specs. The focus point adjustability is an LBAer's dream. I think they've further tweaked the P-TTL so it doesn't massively underexpose when there's a reflective surface in the frame.

As I use the camera more in the field, I'm sure that I'll discover more changes, and I'm pretty sure there won't be many disappointments.

Of course, I may be suffering from NCBRS -- New Camera Buyer's Rationalization Syndrome, so take this for what it'a worth. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:51 PM   #7

Arrgh, this is my current quandry. Last November I decided that the next Pentax body was still some ways off and gave my wife the green light to buy me a K10d for our 15th anniversary (she got a nice tennis bracelet). I decided at that point that I would not be upgrading again until I had filled in some of the lenses I wanted and, overall, I have been happy with the K10.

The one issue I have with the K10 is the high ISO noise level. I eventually limited auto ISO to the 100-400 range and if the light permits I force it to ISO 100 and count on steady hands and shake reduction to get my shots. Now, after reading reviews and first impressions by my fellow Pentaxians here, I am starting to rethink my position.

I have a couple of people considering buying my K10. If it sells (and my asking price is close to what we paid for it after rebate) I will immediately upgrade. If it does not, I will wait until later in the K20d's life cycle to upgrade.

Either way, I will keep taking pictures and, in the end, that is really all that matters!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:36 PM   #8

Tim,

I could have written your post myself!

I got my K10D in September last year (from my wife for my birthday) thinking it was such a huge step up from the previous models. And it is; I love my K10D.

Like you, I do the same (100-400) ISO setting if in Auto, or otherwise, just restrict myself to 100 or 200 to avoid the noise.

So, is it worth it? Thinking..................
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:06 PM   #9

PinonMesaJon wrote:
Quote:
Tim,

I could have written your post myself!

I got my K10D in September last year (from my wife for my birthday) thinking it was such a huge step up from the previous models. And it is; I love my K10D.

Like you, I do the same (100-400) ISO setting if in Auto, or otherwise, just restrict myself to 100 or 200 to avoid the noise.

So, is it worth it? Thinking..................
Hi Jon,
My answer is on another thread but I sold my K10d this week and ordered the K20d. I will know in a month or two if I made the right decision!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:39 PM   #10

Upgrade completed!Sorry cant hang here busy reading the manual

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote