Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:46 AM   #1

Any users of this one out there? any comments good or bad needed.

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/extreme-tele/K300f4.html

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:55 AM   #2

It is a pretty good lens, very sharp with good contrast, but the M* or A* versions are better, both in contrast and sharpness.

I have had the A*, M42 and the K version!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Thanks Tom. I am just looking for good right now and not perfect so this should be the one.....Then I can go look for perfection...LOL Need at least 2 times the money for that....Oh well One year of saving and a better one will be mine! The Bigma fills this slot pretty good for now and this is more a want than a need!

Dawg

Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:32 PM   #4

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/prime...le/K300f4.html
Dawg
Dawg

The link that you gave have just inclued the new DA*300mm. With SDM & 1.2 metre MFD (compared with 4 m. for K or M* or A*), it is very competitive indeed. Well at least on paper. Recently both the recent sales of F* & FA* have dropped quite a bit in expectation of the arrival of the new DA*.
Personally I will wait until the review of the DA*300mm is out. At least I will try out my DA*200mmF2.F with a TC to see if it is of any match to my A*300mmF4. Anyway it is exciting to see that there has all a sudden some choice on the tele lens .
You have a Sigma and that should be comparable

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:24 AM   #5

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/prime...le/K300f4.html
Dawg
Dawg

The link that you gave have just inclued the new DA*300mm. With SDM & 1.2 metre MFD (compared with 4 m. for K or M* or A*), it is very competitive indeed. Well at least on paper. Recently both the recent sales of F* & FA* have dropped quite a bit in expectation of the arrival of the new DA*.
Personally I will wait until the review of the DA*300mm is out. At least I will try out my DA*200mmF2.F with a TC to see if it is of any match to my A*300mmF4. Anyway it is exciting to see that there has all a sudden some choice on the tele lens .
You have a Sigma and that should be comparable

Daniel
Thanks Daniel. Yes the Sigma is a good one but I would like a Pentax 300f/4 just to see if it is any better. I don't have the luxury of camera shops around so I can try out any lens...Wal-mart just will not stock any!!! LOL I thought about the DA* lens but I really like the aperture ring on a lens...They look kind of Nekkid without one!

Dawg

Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:28 AM   #6

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I thought about the DA* lens but I really like the aperture ring on a lens...They look kind of Nekkid without one!
Dawg....the Old Southwest humorist George Washington Harris...had one of his rascallion preachers in the Sut Lovingood stories note "Nekkid we come into this world, and nekkid we's goin' out....an' he 'lowed how it twarn't much of a sin..."

I felt the same as you about not having an aperture ring on the DA*50-135 because it's reassuring to be able to manually set it without depending on the electronics of the camera. However, the other advantages of the lens, especially IQ, so quickly overpowered the one disadvantage that I no longer miss it.

The final selling point for me on the DA* series occurred Tuesday night at a soccer match when we got heavy rain during the match. It was so nice knowing that both the lens and camera were weather-sealed and no awkward gymnastics were necessary to enable us to continue shooting. (Anticipating the rain, I had left the rest of my equipment in the bag in the car.)

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:56 PM   #7

i've got the super tak 300/4 and have no problems pulling it out wide open for a shot. bang for the buck is great..

roy

it's a he!! of a lot lighter than the tammy 300/2.8. about 4 pounds lighter
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:06 PM   #8

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I thought about the DA* lens but I really like the aperture ring on a lens...They look kind of Nekkid without one!
Dawg....the Old Southwest humorist George Washington Harris...had one of his rascallion preachers in the Sut Lovingood stories note "Nekkid we come into this world, and nekkid we's goin' out....an' he 'lowed how it twarn't much of a sin..."

I felt the same as you about not having an aperture ring on the DA*50-135 because it's reassuring to be able to manually set it without depending on the electronics of the camera. However, the other advantages of the lens, especially IQ, so quickly overpowered the one disadvantage that I no longer miss it.

The final selling point for me on the DA* series occurred Tuesday night at a soccer match when we got heavy rain during the match. It was so nice knowing that both the lens and camera were weather-sealed and no awkward gymnastics were necessary to enable us to continue shooting. (Anticipating the rain, I had left the rest of my equipment in the bag in the car.)

Paul
Probably come around to that way of thinking one day Paul...But not right now...Thanks for the advice my friend. DA's are just a little too rich for me right now....

Dawg
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:08 PM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
i've got the super tak 300/4 and have no problems pulling it out wide open for a shot. bang for the buck is great..

roy

it's a he!! of a lot lighter than the tammy 300/2.8. about 4 pounds lighter
Thanks Roy...The one I have my bid on is a K300 f/4 and the second one I'm lookin' at is a Super Tak 300 f/4. All the 2.8's I see cost a whole lot more!

Dawg
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:43 PM   #10

I had noticed that the site now listed the DA*300. I've thought about getting one and selling my A*300 since AF would be nice. However, I quickly changed my mind when I looked at the specs. I'd love to have the closer focusing distance (1.4 meter vs. the A's 4.0 meter, but the 1070 gram weight stopped me in my tracks. I have a hard enough time with the 850 grams that the A* weighs. If the FA*300 come down enough in price, I might consider getting one of them since they are are 935 grams and I understand the lens is better balanced than the A*. The DA may be better balanced, but it would still be too heavy for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote