Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1

Its a manual lens, and I have problems in getting a clear picture. My sigma 70-300 outperforms it upto now, due to this
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:02 PM   #2

What shutter speed are you using? Also, which 300mm f4 lens is it - the K, the M* or the A*? I have the A*300 and love it, but it can be hard to hand-hold since the weight is all at the end. Is this your only manual focus lens? I know I had trouble at first getting used to focusing a manual lens without a split screen. I do a lot of macro, and that helped me practice focusing. Finally, when I was using the K100 all the time, I didn't notice much difference between its viewfinder and the K10. Recently I've been using the K10 almost exclusively, but took the K100 out one day last week. I was surprised at how much more trouble I had focusing with it. Best thing to do is practice (it is an acquired art in my opinion).

Post some examples - it's hard to say with certainty what's going on without seeing what's going on.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:44 PM   #3

Hi!

I have only the K300/f4 SMC

CA and softness are my main problems as seen in this pic

Taken at f4
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:13 AM   #4

It says in the EXIF that you are using High saturation, Hard contrast, and Hard Sharpness. This can be a disaster doing that. Use these settings and see if it doesn't get better. Saturation -1....Contrast +1....Sharpness +2. Use the lowest ISO possible to keep the shutter speed at at least 1/125 sec. Use the 10 mega pixels..Three star Jpeg quality...And bright image tone. Use the select focus and center weight exposure metering. use Auto White Balance. When focusing wait for the Green ball and the beep and then visually check again to be sure the focus is right. Check the Diopter adjustment on the viewfinder and see if it needs to be adjusted for your vision. The diopter adjustment is a slider on top of the viewfinder. Find a sign with some lettering on it and a good light source. Test your focusing skills on this. It will give you a good idea when you are getting the hang of the manual focus. After shooting a photo zoom in to review it and see how sharp the focus was for that shot...If not sharp then try it again. If you hand hold the camera then be sure you have the AS set for the length of lens you are using...For a 300mm lens set it at 300mm...It does matter to do this right...I see in the EXIF you have told the camera you are using a 600mm lens...Set it to 300mm. If possible use a tripod but when you do this turn the AS off. It makes a difference when you leave it on and use a tripod. Hope some of this helps..

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:25 AM   #5

Chess, Harriet and Dawg's advice is sound. Both have posted sharp shots from some longer lenses.Dawghas had a bunch ofnice shots from his Sigma 50-500 so he knows what he is talking about!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:49 AM   #6

Will do so and reply with some new shots

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:34 AM   #7

Chesslanka wrote:
Quote:
Its a manual lens, and I have problems in getting a clear picture. My sigma 70-300 outperforms it upto now, due to this
Before you writing off the tele prime, take test shots with a tripod of a stationary subject and 2 s delay. Also take shots with focusing -3ft, -2 ft, -1 ft ,0 ,+1 ft, 2 ft & 3 ft from the subject. This is to check if there is any front of back focusing either of the lens or the camera body.

Do the fundamentals (for testing long lens) first before drawing any conclusion. Chance is high that it should be at par, if not better than the Tamron zoom at it extreme tele end.

Dawg's advice above is also correct

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:25 PM   #8

My A*300 has a fair amount of CA and purple fringing under certain lighting situations (like this). You can take care of most of it in post processing. The dioper adjustment is very important withmanual focus lenses - every so often mine gets accidentally moved. Both my cameras have fairly accurate focus indicators - sometimes its better than my own eyes, especially if the dioper adjustment is off. Did the camera beep at you when you thought you had a focus? My first reaction when I saw your picture was that there might be some camera shake. While I'm normally fine at 1/500, there are times when I just have terrible technique and get camera shake when I shouldn't. I think Dawg's suggestion to turn off SR, put the camera on a solid surface (if you don't have a tripod) and use the 2 second mirror lock-up to take both SR and camera shake out of the equation, and go from there. Make sure you are far enough away from your subject - the minimum focusing distance for the K300 is 4 meters, the same as the A300. It's no macro and that was something I really had to get used to.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:26 AM   #9

I'm back....

And yes, after some change to settings, the snaps are better...

CA/Purple fringing was less but not totally out speciially with a bright background ..

So here's some samples...

....I forgot to mention thatI attached a 1.4X tamron for extra reach...

1. A pot for testing

Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:27 AM   #10

2. A mynah
Attached Images