Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1

at present i have a K10D with the 16-50 attached (99% of the time) , 50-200 zoom and 360 flash,with the lowepro stealth reporter D100.

its a great strong bag, it looks big, but on the inside it barely holds my stuff. i have to put the K10d with the 16-50 on one side, sideways, and at the other end the 50-100 lying down and then put the flash on top of it.

was looking at the slingshot 100 or 200 , and hoping now, that some one out there, who knows these two bags could help me. acessability and comfort,

Dave

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:52 AM   #2

Dave,

The lowepro slingshots are nice bags. Dont forget to look at the Pentax sling bag, I have one and I like it better. It is a bit bigger than the lowepro slingshot 100. I have in mine, the K10D with battery grip, mounted lens is either a sigma 105 Macro or a Tamron 24-135, I also have a Tamron 70-300 in the top pocket and a Pentax 50-200 along with what other lens im not using in the bottom compartment. There is a thread here about the bag.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3

thanks for the reply

how would you compare the build quality, material quality, ease of use,between the lowepro and the pentax sling

one other thing, how much difference incomfort level, can i expect between using the sling shot design as compared to a shoulder bag worn sling style.

Dave
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:44 PM   #4

The build quality on the pentax is better than the lowepro, as for ease of use, I find it very easy to use. as for comfort, I carry it over one shoulder and its much more comfortable than a bag hanging off both shoulders. And the bottom line is B&H had these last month and probably still does for less than $50
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:09 PM   #5

lowepro slingshot vs tamrac velocity
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:59 PM   #6

I have the Lowepro 200. Comfort will depend on each individual person - I'm a small female and the 200 works extremely well for me (most of the weight sits on my buttocks, rather than my back). It's far more comfortable carrying a heavy camera bag cross-shoulder with it's well padded strap than it is for a regular top-loading shoulder bag. A backpack would handle more weight, but would be far less convenient, and that's something I wasn't willing to compromise with.

My bag has the K10 with the DA*50-135 mounted on it, along with a DA 12-24, A*300 f4, Viv S1 105mm macro, Rocket air blower, 540 flash, 77mm polarizer and step up rings, spare AA batteries for the K100, a couple of spare cards, note pad, small lens cleaning kit all in it. That's about as much weightas I can physically carry (it's over 12 lbs, I think). The padding on the strap is starting to compress a bit, but I've been carrying it fully loaded every day for well over a year, I think. One zipper pull cord came off,so I replaced it with a longer piece of knotted string - it actually works better than the pull cord that was on it originally.

I looked at the lovely picture of the Pentax bag and came to the conclusion that it would just be too small - I just can't bring myself to leave anything home on a regular basis.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:11 AM   #7

I also have the Slingshot 200. My thoughts are mixed. If you are going to be carrying heavy lenses and using it for an extended period of time I do not recommend the Slingshot. The way it puts all the weight on one side ends up hurting my back after several hours. It is very convenient if you tend to pull your camera in and out of the bag frequently. However, if you mainly carry your camera around your neck and the spare lenses in the bag then the convience is not as great as the lenses are not positioned for easy removal just by sliding the bag around front. The slingshot does carry quite a bit of kit though and is generally the bag I use if I do not intend to be carrying the bag for more than a couple of hours straight. I should also note that my wife cannot wear the slingshot at all as the manner it crosses her chest is very uncomfortable for her.

My other bag is a Tamrac Adventure 7 backpack. It holds less and and is less convenient. However I can wear it all day with the weight distributed comfortably across my shoulders.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8

thank a lot guys

ordered the slingshot 100 , should get it by early next month, i chosed the 100 due to only owning a body, 2 lenses and a flash.

hope this one is it, as its the third bag, in five months, hope i am not developing BBA

Dave
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:34 PM   #9

Dave,

I have the 100 and have one camera, two lenses and flash in it. I put one lens in the large area beneath the padding, with the camera and lens attached straight down into it. The flash goes (partially bent) into the top section around my "hoodman" screen viewer. Also in the large compartment are my blower, spare batteries, pencil and small tablet, etc.

If you get a third lens you will be stuck, though. I cannot easily fit my 24-80 lens in it with the above stuff. Since I'm going to physical therapy for my shoulder right now, I've been taking limited things with me. Every time I'm at PT, they happen to pick up my bag and give me this look like - "well, let's see. What do you think caused your shoulder problems?":-) I tend to carry the bag over just one shoulder since I'm carrying it back and forth to work every day and with a full winter coat on it just isn't easy to get on.

I have been debating on getting the 200, or some other style of bag (maybe the Pentax one). The only thing I haven't liked about the slingshot is when it's sitting on the seat next to me in the car, it always ends upside down and I use the small straps to turn it around. I'm sure I'm not doing it any good tugging on it like that.

Btw, you could join me in BBA. My husband calls me the bag lady. I have a bag for every purpose.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:47 PM   #10

thanks Patty

but, i worked out, camera and 16-50 mounted ( which i always use ) in main compartment , right side. flash - main compartment left side. 50-200 in upper compartment.

personally i am very happy with the 16-50 and have only used the 50-200 once in the last 5 months.

Dave