Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:54 PM   #1

I've never used Polarizing and or UV filters. I don't know how much of a difference they will make and don't want to spend a lot on filters.

I was surfing around the net and found some Sunpak 2 paks - Circular Polarizer and UV sets. Ive got a few 52mm lenses and one 62mm. So Ifound Sunpak 2 Paks for each (52mm and 62mm). Total is $33, butthere is alsoa come on to sign up for a credit card and get $30 off the first purchase. So Ican get a a 52mm UV, a 52mm Circ. Polarizer, a 62mm UV, and a 62mm Circ. Polarizer for $3.00.

I realize you get what you pay for, and the Sunpaks are considerably cheaper than B+W, Cokin, or Hoya, but for $3 how bad can they be? Anyone have experience with Sunpak filters?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:36 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I have a Sunpak circular polarizer and it seems to work just fine. For my kind of use (i.e. I do not publish photos for magazines), it works just fine. I do not have any of the professional grade filters--I'd also be interested to hear of feedback re. the discernible merits of a pro filter vs. a $30 filter.

Jay

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:10 PM   #3

I think the difference between the expensive and the cheap-o filters are the number of coatings on the glass. I put a UV filter on all my auto focus Pentax lenses, but I don't bother with the cheaper/manual eBay specials. In some cases the filter would cost more than I paid for the lens.

I have a cheap-o polarizer, and it does okay for me. I love the way you can take the reflection right out of water, and punch up a bright blue sky. I used it just today to pull the gloomy gray sky reflection out of the pool at the bottom of the waterfall I was shooting.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:12 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I placed an order for 2 sets of Sunpak UV filtersand CPL's (52mm and 62mm).

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:15 PM   #5

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys, I placed an order for 2 sets of Sunpak UV filtersand CPL's (52mm and 62mm).

I use the Cokin sytem of filters but you might not want to go there!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 1:17 AM   #6

I'll be interested to hear how you like them. I had bought a cheap polarizer for the FZ30, but was very disappointed in it (it didn't seem to make much difference, no matter what I did). I also had an old, cheap,UV filter on a lens that caused flare and ghosting, so I tend not to use UV filters at all any more. I still occasionally use an old linear polarizer with a manual 50mm lens on the K100 (it causes exposure problems with the K10). After those experiences I decided to buy one expensive circular polarizer and some step up rings.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:29 PM   #7

Personally, I would spend the money on just a polarizing filter and skip the UV filters altogether. I started off buying them (UV), many of the lenses I have bought used included them, and they are all sitting in drawer now. I never found a circumstance where they helped me create a better image and I did find circumstances where they detracted. I reach for my polarizing filters fairly regularly though.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 2:15 AM   #8
PDL

UV/Haze filters do a recognizable job at altitude. I got into the habit of always using a UV/1A filter - but then I lived at 7,000+ feet. They do make a difference and it is noticeable what a mile+ of atmosphere will do to the scattering of UV light.

I have CPL's for my Pentax DA and other lenses. One trick - when using a CPL put the sun off you shoulder (90 degrees to the direction the camera is pointing) that is where you get the greatest effect on the sky.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:25 PM   #9

I dunno, NonEntity. UV filters are not ENTIRELY useless. I bought Quantaray UV filters for my lenses so it protects the lens glass. It doesnt add any flare or ghosting so there's no compromise. I'd gladly sacrifice a $5 UV for my lens anyday! :lol:
JBoyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:22 PM   #10

I haven't had any use for uv filters other that extra protection for the lens, I don't go high enough to see a difference.

Got 2 'cheap' circ pol. from http://stores.benl.ebay.be/PHOTO-BITZ-LTD, the first one I use on my tamr.18-200 and it works fine, the second I wanted to use one my sigma 100-300ex and it simply doesn't work.
After putting the cp on the lens the lens it won't focus anymore. Not manual, (no beep, or automatic).
So I'm not a to great fan for cheap cp's.

But for 3$ ... I would say go for it.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote