Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1

Two quick shots with the new K20D, Unfortunately I have not had much luck getting out and taking some pictures since I got the new camera, though I managed these two in the last week.

This Giant lifts off once a week and the last time it flew over the top of me it had 50tonne of sea container slung underneath it. This time I heard it starting up and got out to get a shot, K20D Sigma 17-70mm, ISO 400 1/1250sec f/8

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:50 PM   #2

And this little guy came skipping past me with another monkey and decided to sit at the gate to the compound, so being a good Pentaxian, I always carry my camera, I took it out. He went from passive to this in 3 secs.

I took the shot and put it behind my back and he calmed down, I then bought it out again and he was very calm and I got a heap more shots. Later after lunch, I went back to him and his friend and gave them some fruit, They just sat there and gently took it out of my palm and ate it one piece at a time.

K20D Sigma 17-70mm ISO400 1/200sec f/8 Straight from the camera, cropped only
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:20 AM   #3

Very nice! Both shots are exceptional - love the flex in the helecopter's blades, along with the texture of the monkey's fur. Can't believe that they are just "quick shots."
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:30 AM   #4

I am still coming to terms with the K20D. It operates the same, but still giving me mixed results, I suppose I still haven;t come to trust it yet and keep chimping my shots hehehe.

The colour reproduction is something I think I need to tweak as things are a bit orange here at the moment as it is dry.

I was impressed with the sharpness of the 17-70mm after I adjusted the AF. At least one of my lenses that is sharp now!

PK
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:01 AM   #5

One of the things that's really frustrating me with my K10 is the inconsistent, but often backfocus on my two favorite AF lenses. I know some of it is my own technical skill limitations, but I'm just about to the point of selling the K10 for peanuts, even though I can't afford to buy the K20 for another couple of months. That and the inconsistent vertical banding I occasionally see at high ISO. I've taken shots where I fully expected to see it, but they were fine, others have it where I didn't expect it. So I'm following everyone's reaction to the K20 with great interest.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:12 AM   #6

PK, I like both a lot, I think the wind indicator at the lower right elevates the picture of the Giant (it really looks like a giant). Are those monkeys tamed or did they tame themself?

I've just come home from town, where I picked up the parcel with my K20D! Battery is charging. And I have to attend to a meeting tonight.:angry: First impression is that it's big. I like the size of the *istDS better. I have high expectations for the rest though...

My wife just opened her yearly letter from the tax authorities. She will recieve an unexpected tax return at about the same amount as the K20D costs. Me, happy?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:52 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
One of the things that's really frustrating me with my K10 is the inconsistent, but often backfocus on my two favorite AF lenses. I know some of it is my own technical skill limitations, but I'm just about to the point of selling the K10 for peanuts, even though I can't afford to buy the K20 for another couple of months. That and the inconsistent vertical banding I occasionally see at high ISO. I've taken shots where I fully expected to see it, but they were fine, others have it where I didn't expect it. So I'm following everyone's reaction to the K20 with great interest.
I too am keenly awaiting some feedback on the K20D. Frommuch I've read, on this forumthe K10D appears not to be a very forgiving camera, but rather one that requires precise and meticulous attention in order to get a good picture. Formy user habits however, I'd prefer a camera that takes great pictures all the time, and fantastic /superior pictures if all the expert modes are enabled.I am therefore not surprised to hear thatsomehave found it so confounding that they are considering selliing them, or have sold them and returned to the DS/DL series. I wonder if Pentax considered the impact of usability in their design and engineering of the K10D?

Ihope the K20Dmaintains the forgiving qualities of the DL/DS but still enables the prosumers to take full advantage of it's techinical specifications.I would be dissapointed to learn otherwise.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:56 PM   #8

Don't get me wrong, I love the K20D have no doubt. Just coming to terms with the different colour rendering, better in a way... but different enought that I am still checking.

Like with the K10D, you have to set the camera up to your own liking and until I get time sit down and tweak the individual settings I am letting the AWB control the colour, though I have found Sunny setting better in full sun over the AWB.

I never worried about FF/BF before because I couldn't do anyting about it. Now I have the K20D and I realise that my lenses aren't as spot on focussed as I like and I can't get my 300mm f/2.8 to stop FFing.

Knowing NOW that my 300mm FF, I am SUPER critical of my shots with that lens and now I am finding I am checking EVERY shot regardless of which lens I am using.

Not that there is anything wrong with the shots, just have yet to learn to trust that the camera/lenses are working perfectly... isn't paranoia wonderful

So sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

Though I will say this, my 6mp DL took some wonderfully clean and sharp images but I wouldn't go back to it.

Kjell, yeah I rckoen they are self tamed, I saw one the other day with a chair and cracking a whip to get the other ones into line before they boarded the bus to school. :G

Seriously, they seem friendly enough that they will sit there amongst you and take food from your hand, but I wouldn't trust one NOT to bite me if I annoyed it.

PK
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:48 PM   #9

OK Al, you SAY it is a monkey. But how do we know it is not some cop in a foreign country who just woke up and can't find a decent cup of coffee? I am pretty sure I have seen this guy at roll call briefings before :-).

Seriously, both are neat shots, I am looking forward to seeing more from your current assignment.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote