Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:06 PM   #1

For the story behind this beaten up butterfly, check out this thread in the Wildlife Forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:45 PM   #2

Excellent series and very educational!!

-thepusher
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:53 AM   #3

Hi Penolta,

That is really fascinating. I'd never thought they'd be so territorial, or would so agressively defend their space. Is there a feeding or mating advantage to having this territory? It seems to me that the top of the tree would expose him more to both the elements and predator birds.

So many things that seem so counter-intuitive to me are usually keys to an animal's survival. I really love this stuff. Thanks for posting these glipses into the lives your local creatures.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:10 PM   #4

Very cool series! It is rather sad to think that such a tenacious animal will eventually be defeated or die. He's quite heroic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:24 PM   #5

I went to a Butterfly farm once and there were quite a few beating each other up until one couldn't fly any longer. Nice shot.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:29 AM   #6

Thanks for posting!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 1:14 PM   #7

Thanks to all for looking and commenting.

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Is there a feeding or mating advantage to having this territory? It seems to me that the top of the tree would expose him more to both the elements and predator birds.
Scott, it is usually interpreted as a matter of natural selection. The strongest male gets to mate the most often and passes on his genes at a greater frequency than other males. By controllinghis territory he keeps other males out, and has access to any females that enter it. Exposure to predators is a trade-off - think of it as a cost-benefit ratio that applies to the species, rather than the individual. Similar to what applies to elaborate plumagesin male birds and big racks in deer and elk.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Scott, it is usually interpreted as a matter of natural selection. The strongest male gets to mate the most often and passes on his genes at a greater frequency than other males. By controllinghis territory he keeps other males out, and has access to any females that enter it. Exposure to predators is a trade-off - think of it as a cost-benefit ratio that applies to the species, rather than the individual. Similar to what applies to elaborate plumagesin male birds and big racks in deer and elk.
Boy, it sure doesn't work that way in MY house. Access to more females and mating more often would be a sure way to make sure that my genes were only useful for post-mortem DNA identification! :-)

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:05 PM   #9

Tim, I wouldn't touchthat one with a ten-fot pole! :shock:

However, the old guy in this tale hasn't been seen for several days, so he may be a victim of your implied scenario,:GHe has either been driven off, or else cashed in his chips, which I think is most likely, given his age and condition. The "challenger" has the yard to himself now, and even sat on my arm Wednesday and spread his wings as if to show me the notch in one wing that lets me know it is him and not another - he is a cheeky little devil! :-)