Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:58 PM   #1

Hi All,

I dug out my old Mdl 3720 Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 LD Macro lens which was one of the first lenses I obtained after getting the DS. After seeing how some of my other lenses have been performing with the K20, I was curious to see how this one might do with BIF.

I went to the hospital retention pond where there are always a lot of gulls with the intention of just shooting BIF, though I've never been good at it. It was a heavy cloud cover day (light enough, but I couldn't see a shadow), so I just set up for Aperture Priority at f8, ISO 400, AF-C, and High Speed Continuous shooting (not the 21fps burst mode), then let the camera do most of the work. All these were handheld.

This guy was different looking from the others, but I think it's just a younger one -- they vary a lot in the first 3 years.

Close to full frame, just cropped to 5x7 @300mm

again, just cropped to 5x7 @300mm

another at 300mm

These weren't too interested in flying for me. . .:-)

Here's the thing. . . 290 shots 75 rejects for all reasons, OOF, only partial birds, empty frames -- almost 75% useable BIF shots, granted, many were from too far away, and some weren't perfect focus, but they were what I call saveable.

This in a second try from a horrible BIF shooter with a new camera body and an old consumer grade lens. There are those who would say that it's still the same old SAFOX VIII system. I think I'll disagree. . . :-)

I'm not saying that this is a D300 killer or even a peer in AF speed -- I'm just saying that as far as I'm concerned, it's definitely improved over the K10. Try one yourself and decide.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:07 PM   #2

Love the 3rd shot! I 've been shooting gulls myself lately. That's about all I've seen the last few weeks.
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:44 PM   #3

Scott,

These are fabulous, Now I have to wait for my K20, wont sleep tonight. The first one appears to be just comming out of his first winter coat. Ring bills do change appearances the first few years. I love the 4th pic, with him squaking at you.

Terry.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:25 PM   #4

2many wrote:
Quote:
Scott,

These are fabulous, Now I have to wait for my K20, wont sleep tonight. The first one appears to be just comming out of his first winter coat. Ring bills do change appearances the first few years. I love the 4th pic, with him squaking at you.

Terry.
I have to agree with Terry on all counts, especially about the not sleeping tonight, or the next couple of nights. My K20 is scheduled for delivery Wednesday.

You refer to the Mdl Tamron 70-300 LD Macro. Is that the same lens as the Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro? That's the version I have, and shots as good as you've posted with these excite me to the possibilities of this lens with the K20.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:56 PM   #5

maxwell1295 wrote:
Quote:
Love the 3rd shot! I 've been shooting gulls myself lately. That's about all I've seen the last few weeks.
Hi Maxwell,

Welcome to the forum! The gulls are my standby for attempts at BIF. They're everywhere, and their flight speed is a good test, but not impossible like the little birds and (at least for me) ducks. My other standby test subjects are sparrows for the little guys and geese for the bigger birds. Both abundant and not too shy.

I'm really looking forward to the spring migration -- if spring ever gets here:roll:

Scott
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:13 PM   #6

2many wrote:
Quote:
Scott,

These are fabulous,* Now I have to wait for my K20,* wont sleep tonight.* The first one appears to be just comming out of his first winter coat.* Ring bills do change appearances the first few years.** I love the 4th pic,* with him squaking at you.
Hi Terry,

I think you'll feel it was worth the wait. Sleep is overrated, IMO :-) -- but it does pass the time quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the K20. I've yet to find any aspect of the camera that isn't a pleasant surprise. Okay -- there's one -- the longer write times throw off my rhythm a bit, but working with the cleaner higher res files easily makes up for it.

Scott

Scott
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:33 PM   #7

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
.You refer to the Mdl Tamron 70-300 LD Macro. Is that the same lens as the Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro? That's the version I have, and shots as good as you've posted with these excite me to the possibilities of this lens with the K20.

Paul
Paul, the lenses are not quite the same -Tamron's Di lenses are coated for digital cameras, but are still full frame (The Di II lenses cover only the APS-C size frame of the digital cameras and are digital only). The earlier non-Di LD lenses do not have the extra digitalcoating. I have the 3520 LD Macro which has a 1:2 magnification, and it is a very good lens, especiallyso in the close-up range. Other than the coating, they are probably much the same. I just yesterday posted in this forum some Giant Swallowtail photos taken with this lens on the K10. If you were satisfied withyours on your present camera, I am sureit willnot disappoint you on the K20.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:40 PM   #8

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

I have to agree with Terry on all counts, especially about the not sleeping tonight, or the next couple of nights.* My K20 is scheduled for delivery Wednesday.

You refer to the Mdl Tamron 70-300 LD Macro.* Is that the same lens as the Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro?* That's the version I have, and shots as good as you've posted with these excite me to the possibilities of this lens with the K20.
Hi Paul,

Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how you like the new body as well. I think that you'll find that it is a much better tool for your sports shooting.

My Tamron 70-300 is probably at least 2-3 models before yours, and only goes to 1:3.8 "macro". It doesn't have the digital coatings and, IIRC didn't test as well as the newer models, so if anything, your's should be considerably better.

One thing that some K20 owners have noted is that this sensor seems to be less prone to CA and PF than the K10. I'll agree with this, though others have said that color aberrations are a lens only thing. My K10 was considerably worse in this respect than my DS, but the K20 is better than either. This Tamron zoom was a CA monster at the edges, but with the K20 there's a lot less. On these shots the worst cases were a snap to correct, but it was also a very overcast day, so the contrast wasn't as high as it could have been.

Scott
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:30 AM   #9

Great shots!

I've been very impressed with the continuous autofocus on my K10D for BIF. Your shots bring out this fact (on the K20D also). Someone in an older post stated that they didn't think you could rely on the autofocus for BIF, but this just goes to show that the opposite is true!

Thanks for sharing.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:54 PM   #10

Very nice shots, with lots of stop action.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote