Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:20 PM   #1

ISO1600, exposure compensation -0.7, 1/200s, f2.5, black and white conversion in the camera.

I just liked the way it looked, this is just rotated and re sized (using MS powertoys image re-sizer). Not cropped and no post processing.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:02 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ira, all that needs to be said is that this image belongs in Life Magazine!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3

Hi Ira,

I like it. The lighting angle shows so much dimension in the features. Lighting is something that I'm really just starting to understand.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:52 PM   #4

Very nice Ira, dramatic lighting and lots of character on your subjects face. This worked perfectly in black and white.
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:55 PM   #5

I understand why you like it, and I like it too!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:33 AM   #6

Wow, Ira, what an incredible shot ! Knowing the subject of this picture quite well makes me appreciate even more the work that you've done. You've definitely captured this person in the most remarkable of ways.

Did you use only the room lights for this one ? Very nice effect to say the least.

Really like this one.

Oh, and by the way, I'm using your computer again today, but I took the time to log in as me this time. Definitely saves a lot of confusion

CHeers

Brian
goldwing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7

This was taken in the lobby of an art's centre at the after theatre party. The room was lit by just one set of overhead lights about 8 to 10 meters away from where he was sitting. I converted to black and white, in the camera, just to see how it would look and was very please with the result, thus no PP.

Ira
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:47 PM   #8

That is great stuff, Ira. The lighting is perfect and the expression is wonderful. Really well done!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:56 PM   #9

The lighting is great and the B&W conversion really makes the shot.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:32 PM   #10

My wife Annette and I are heavily involved with the local amateur theatre group (she is current president). This past week the Newfoundland and Labrador provincial drama festival took place here in Gander (one of the few such amateur festivals left in Canada). My subject was one of our fellow thespians, my DL with the FA50 was with me throughout rehearsals for our production of Agatha Christie's "Witness for the Prosecution". It also found its way to the after performance parties. The week included four other plays from theatre groups from St. John's, Labrador City, Grand Falls/Windsor and Corner Brook. Our production was awarded for best set, my wife Annette was awarded best female actor and I was given an honourable mention in a supporting role.

The DL FA50 combination was a big winner, the ISO was set at 1600 (minimum) and often 3200 (which makes for great black and white shots). I put together an album of over 100 black and white prints since that was appropriate to the period of the play we performed. (see http://www.ganderbeacon.ca/index.cfm...y&cid=1258 for some newspaper pictures from our production if you are interested.)

Sorry to waste bandwidth on this but I am particularly proud for having photographed and designed the posters and program covers for the event as well as designing the awards (which were then produced by my friend Peter).

Here is a picture of the award.

Attached Images