Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:29 PM   #1

I have recommended my Father look at getting a faster card, he has a Sandisk std 1gb and after Firmware upgrade it will now take bigger cards plus SDHC. Would an Extreme III be overkill?

I know when I bought my point and shoot I grabbed an Extreme II as I knew at the time the camera was not capable of writing fast enough to need an Extreme III but benefited due to vid etc from the II I also knew that if and when I would want a faster card it would be cheaper to wait. Well boy was that right at the time an Extreme III 1gb was between $60 and $80 they are bigger and cheaper now.

SO back tho the Samsung, I am going to try and find write speeds but maybe somebody here knows if a II is enough or if a III will help.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:12 PM   #2

Deleted post.
dcf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:18 PM   #3

Sorry about that. That was an old log in in the post above.

The Extreme III would be fine for your dad's camera. I've used both Ultra II's and Extreme III's in my K10D and thinkthe Extrememay review pics a bit faster, and may dump the buffer a bit faster than the Ultra II's. These are totally unscientific observations, just anecdotal evidence.

With the Extreme III, you'd know the card wasn't the limiting factor speed wise.

If you catch them on sale, they are fairly reasonably priced,too.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:27 PM   #4

the price difference onlineis so small between the extreme iii and the ultra ii that i would go with the extreme iii.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:00 PM   #5

Hi creeduk,

I'd always suggest the fastest card available, as long as you're not paying a severe premium for it. Either more resolution in a future camera or using RAW will probably find you wanting more speed sometime in the future. Over the life of the card, any price differential will mean very little.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:58 PM   #6
Administrator

creeduk wrote:
Quote:
SO back tho the Samsung, I am going to try and find write speeds but maybe somebody here knows if a II is enough or if a III will help.
If it's the same as similar Pentax models, write speed is going to max out at around 3MB/Second.

For example, the K100D tests I've seen using an Extreme III showed a full buffer cycle time of around 3.7 seconds between raw files after the camera's internal buffer was full. That's a frame rate of approximately 0.27 frames per second (1/3.7 = 0.27). With a raw file size of around 10,700KB, that works out to approximately 2889 KB/Second (10,700KB * 0.27 fps = 2889KB/second).

So, even an Ultra II supports write speeds several times as fast as a K100D is able to write to an Extreme III.

Steve tested cycle times between raw files on the Samsung GX-1L using an OCZ 133x 2GB SD Card at 3.5 seconds between files on a full buffer, which works out to a frame rate of around 0.29 frames per second. With a raw file size of about 10700KB, that's around 3103KB/Second.

Steve got similar times with a K100D Super, only using a MyFlash 4GB 150x card, getting a full buffer cycle time of 3.6 seconds between raw files.

Dave Etchell's over at imaging-resource clocked a K100D at 3.8 seconds between shots on a full buffer (but, he didn't mention what card was used).

IOW, I really wouldn't expect to see any significant difference between an Ultra II and Extreme III in that Samsung, since similar Pentax and Samsung cameras seem to max out at well below the speed an Ultra II is capable of (it's capable of around 9 to 10MB/Second, but the cameras appear to be bottlenecked at around 3MB/Second).

But, you'd have to test both in the same camera to find out for sure, as part of the speed bottlneck in these cameras could be something other than the interface to the cards.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:29 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

It looks like an Ultra II is going to be just as fast. Skimming through more of the Pentax reviews, I found one using an Ultra II.

Steve clocked 3.5 seconds between raw files with a full buffer testing a *ist DL with an Ultra II (almost identical to times I've seen using faster cards in similar Pentax and Samsung camera models).

So, it does not appear you'd see any performance benefit going from an Ultra II to an Extreme III in this type of camera from tests I've seen (at least as far as write speeds go). These 6MP cameras appear to max out at around 3MB/Second write speed to media even if you are using dramatically faster cards.

Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:29 PM   #8

I'm glad the question was asked...and answered so thoroughly: I have had the same question for a while. I suspected that the answer was Ultra II. It's the quantitaive-based answer that I appreciate. Thank you.
SteveModena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:58 PM   #9

Guys first sorry for the delay getting back I have been making the most of my parents visit (they are over from the UK) so on-line time was less than usual

Great info and as I was suspecting. he price over in UK is typically a bigger gap between the Ultra and the Extreme so I have advised the Ultra. Also found that the Price of 2GB Ultra cards are cheaper than here (on Amazon which was odd when you consider the exchange rate right now). So I said 2 x 2GB cards will be better that 1 x 4gb. Means if one fails less loss and you can read off one while shooting to the other.

Had he been here longer I may have grabbed a couple of 4gb's as unlike the 2gb they are cheaper here. Funny how they all play the price game

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:14 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
.... So I said 2 x 2GB cards will be better that 1 x 4gb. Means if one fails less loss and you can read off one while shooting to the other.
From my perspective, you'd be more likely to have a problem from swapping the cards after one gets full (card slot damage, problems from static electricity or voltage spikes during insertion/removal), or losing a card, versus a failure to a card that's remaining in the camera.

Cards have been getting larger and larger for years.

The last card I bought was a 16GB card. ;-)

Cost per Megabyte (or should I say cost per Gigabyte now) has been decreasing so much lately that it's just as easy to buy a much larger card now, versus multiple smaller cards from a cost perspective.

For example, newegg.com has the Transcend Class 6 16GB Cards for only $62.99 now, and they have a lifetime warranty, too. I'd get the package including a reader for $68.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208377

That works out to not much over $4 per Gigabyte, even with the card reader.

But, I would always recommend having a spare, just in case of a failure.