Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:50 PM   #1

I think this will be a good camera once I get everything all figured out. It is a big step up from the K100D and the K10D I have owned.

Took this one today, I still have to work on Focus Adjust, I dont really understand it that much yet.

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:32 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

2many wrote:
Quote:
I think this will be a good camera once I get everything all figured out. It is a big step up from the K100D and the K10D I have owned.

Took this one today, I still have to work on Focus Adjust, I dont really understand it that much yet.

Is it meant to be this difficult? I'm still waiting for the ringing endorsement that this is the one!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:05 AM   #3

2many wrote:
Quote:
Mine came in last night, and I didn't get much chance to play with it, so my first impressions are very raw and very subject to change. I think it would be an extremely intimidating camera for someone without DSLR experience, but I haven't seen that much that is radically different, in terms of operation, from the K10.

I have deliberately not gone to too many of the new functions till I have time to sit down and work with them, but the biggie for me is what I've already seen with high ISO performance. I'll have a better idea after shooting a soccer match tonight, but the promises of being able to shoot with high ISO and not being overwhelmed by noise look really good. I was barely able to perceive any difference in noise levels between shots taken at ISO 1600 and ISO 6400. For my sports shooting that it is critical.

More after tonight's shooting.

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4

This is the thread I thougt about starting myself. All the very subjective experiences one by one as they come. Might be helpful to someone on the threshold or deciding between a K20D and a K200D.

So my reaction, coming from a DS:
  • It's big! Bigger and heavier. Not good.
[/*]
  • Much easier to focus manually. Don't know why, but the picture on the matte screen is clearer and, as they say,it "pops" into focus.
[/*]
  • It's so much more than the DS. Didn't explore all the DS's capabilities in two years, won't turn the K20 inside out in a lifetime.
[/*]
  • It will take time to find a workflow for the RAW files. The bundled software (Pentax Photo Lab by Silkypix) is so utterly slow so it's unusable. Got myself CS3 with Camera Raw. Much better, but I do miss RawShooter, which can't be updated to accomodate new camera models. I'll try to find a hacker to do that for me.
[/*]
  • Having a job is an obstacle to learning and enjoying a new camera. I'll try to win a fortune and quit working.
[/*]
Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:19 PM   #5

Oh, very noticeably faster AF.

Kjell
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:00 PM   #6

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
  • Having a job is an obstacle to learning and enjoying a new camera. I'll try to win a fortune and quit working.
Kjell
[/*]

I am in total agreement, Kjell. The only problem is, to have the expensive camera I must have a job. If you get any hints on winning a fortune, please share them here.:-)

Very nice photo, 2many. Is it a lilly pad? If so, in water?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:35 PM   #7

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Kjell
I am in total agreement, Kjell. The only problem is, to have the expensive camera I must have a job. If you get any hints on winning a fortune, please share them here.:-)

Very nice photo, 2many. Is it a lilly pad? If so, in water?

Patty
[/*]
Patty

Yes its a water lilly, and it was in the water.

Terry

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:45 PM   #8

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
If you get any hints on winning a fortune, please share them here.:-)

It's very easy. When you buy your lottery ticket, just be careful to pick the right one!

Kjell
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:53 PM   #9

Those winning lottery numbers would be very useful about now.

The extra weight of the K20 would be really huge for someone going from the DS - didn't think about that. Glad I did it in stages - got the K100 and got used to that first. Then switched to the K10 and got used to that. But the K10/K20 is as heavy a camera as I can manage, and I'm not sure I would have bought one if I hadn't had the K100 first.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:04 PM   #10

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
This is the thread I thougt about starting myself. All the very subjective experiences one by one as they come. Might be helpful to someone on the threshold or deciding between a K20D and a K200D.

So my reaction, coming from a DS:
  • Quote:
  • Quote:
    It's big! Bigger and heavier. Not good.
    [/*]
  • Quote:
  • Quote:
    Much easier to focus manually. Don't know why, but the picture on the matte screen is clearer and, as they say,it "pops" into focus.
    [/*]
  • Quote:
  • Quote:
    It's so much more than the DS. Didn't explore all the DS's capabilities in two years, won't turn the K20 inside out in a lifetime.
    [/*]
  • Quote:
  • Quote:
    It will take time to find a workflow for the RAW files. The bundled software (Pentax Photo Lab by Silkypix) is so utterly slow so it's unusable. Got myself CS3 with Camera Raw. Much better, but I do miss RawShooter, which can't be updated to accomodate new camera models. I'll try to find a hacker to do that for me.
    [/*]
  • Quote:
  • Quote:
    Having a job is an obstacle to learning and enjoying a new camera. I'll try to win a fortune and quit working.
    [/*]
Quote:
Kjell
Kjell

the RAW converter in CS3 is the update for RAW Shooter Essentials.

Adobe realised their raw converter in CS2 was rubbish and that RAW Shooter Essentials was so much better, they bought it for CS3.

I moved fom Raw Shooter to Bibble Lite to accomodate my K10D

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote