Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:20 PM   #1

I went out this morning, Took 150 pictures with different lenses. Out of the 150, 150 were out of focus. It was not a front focus or rear focus issue, it was a total out of focus issue. Does anyone have any ideas. I did check the diopler and it is adjusted properly. I used both manual and auto focus and still no help.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:36 PM   #2

Geez Terry, that does not sound good. I still have under a dozen shots on my K20 but looking it over I can't see any switch that would cause that kind of behavior. Heck, you upgraded from a K10 too and the control changes are pretty minimal. Let us know what you figure out.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:32 PM   #3

2many wrote:
Quote:
I went out this morning,* Took 150 pictures with different lenses.* Out of the 150,* 150 were out of focus.* It was not a front focus or rear focus issue,* it was a total out of focus issue.* Does anyone have any ideas.* I did check the diopler and it is adjusted properly.** I used both manual and auto focus and still no help.
Hi Terry,

Wow! What a disappointment.

The water lily was nicely focused, so it at least used to work.

I'd turn the focus adjust off, try it, then turn SR off and try it again. These are the two things that first come to mind. If either of these give you a focused image, I'd try resetting everything to default and starting over. If setting to default in the menu doesn't work, try leaving the battery out of the cam for a day.

Is the scene through the viewfinder in focus, but the image comes out blurred? Have you tried setting the cam on a tripod, Manual Focusing with Live View magnified, then take the shot. Is the image in focus? When you turn off Live View, is the subject in focus in the viewfinder?

Is the battery fully charged? Does it show fully charged on the battery level indicator on the cam? Do you have a spare to try? Did you try checking the voltage of the battery with a meter?

I'm really baffled by this, but it might help to narrow down the possibilities.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:26 PM   #4

Perplexing. Did you have trouble with both AF and MF lenses? The first thing that came to mind is the focus adjust settings being messed up, then to try putting the camera on a solid surface with SR off and use the 2 second delay, which locks up the mirror and would take any possibility of camera shake out of the equation. Then re-set the defaults. Let us know how you do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:36 PM   #5

One more thing -- The K20 is the first of any of my 5 cameras equipped with some form of IS that I turn SR off when using on a tripod. I shot about 200 frames yesterday from a tripod with SR on and they all came out blurry. This has never happened before and I've never believed the warning to turn it off until now.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:43 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for some ideas, I will try them all tomorrow. I called Pentax and they seem to think it is an in camera problem. Before I mail it off, I want to check everything again one more time. I will let you know.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:13 PM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
One more thing -- The K20 is the first of any of my 5 cameras equipped with some form of IS that I turn SR off when using on a tripod. I shot about 200 frames yesterday from a tripod with SR on and they all came out blurry. This has never happened before and I've never believed the warning to turn it off until now.

Scott
I tried it with my 600mm on a tripod with the SR on and off. It actually came out better with the SR on. 1/90 sec, wich is slow for a 600 mm lens. It might be because of the home made mounting device my brother made for me. It moves the "axis of shake and swivel" forwards to the point where you would have hand-held the lens.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:25 PM   #8

Now that is a real setup to make the Canon and Nikon shooters look twice.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote