Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:06 AM   #11

Terry - It's too bad you had a bad camera. I'm having a ball withmy K20-I've hadseveral months of thinking that there had to be something wrong with me and my photography skills because so many of my K10 pictures were either focused wrong or completely blurry. Today I went for a drive to find wildflowers and took over a 100 pictures. Instead of finding a dozen that were good and spending time saving/salvaging another dozen, I want to keep most of them.I can certainly understand your jumping ship, though, and I've heard very good things about the new Sony cameras. Good luck with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:02 AM   #12

Terry, You will miss the top LCD when you get your new Sony.

PK

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:55 PM   #13

2many wrote:
Quote:
Tim,*

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"*

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I will still be around,* I will drop in here from time to time and check everyone out.
Hi Terry,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I know that for me, confidence in my gear is an important aspect of ownership, so I understand where you're coming from.

I hope that Sony delivers for you. I'll look forward to progress reports with your new system.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:20 AM   #14

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Paul,

Something similar happened with mine when I first got it. I'll be [email protected] if I can remember what lens it was, but after switching lenses and wiping all the contacts, it stopped, and now all my lenses have worked fine for about 3000 shots.
That's a good suggestion. I'll try it tomorrow. The guy I talked to at Pentax Tech Support was most worried about the fact that I had to remove the battery to reset it, too.

Paul
Scott,

Your suggestion may have just turned out to be the winner. As I thought about the question, there was another piece of evidence that would suggest a dust problem during manufacture. I checked the dust on the sensor just after getting the camera and it was filthy. A little work with the blower took care of it and I put it out of mind.

This morning, I cleaned the contacts on the front of the camera, and my alcohol pad literally came back gray. I also cleaned the contacts on a couple of lenses and tried them. Since then, I have not been able to make it fail again, including extended shots in continuous shooting modes.

No guarantee that it will continue to work, but things look good right now. Should this prove to be the fix, it might be something other K20D buyers need to be on the lookout for. I will update the results in a couple of days.

Paul
Promised update: I had one more instance of shutter stick on Saturday...reset it...and recleaned the contacts. Since then, everything has worked great through several hundred shots in all shooting modes. I'm going to hold onto the camera rather than ship it back for exchange. The proof should come tonight when I have a soccer doubleheader and expect to shoot nearly a thousand shots.

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:29 AM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Terry - It's too bad you had a bad camera. I'm having a ball withmy K20-I've hadseveral months of thinking that there had to be something wrong with me and my photography skills because so many of my K10 pictures were either focused wrong or completely blurry. Today I went for a drive to find wildflowers and took over a 100 pictures. Instead of finding a dozen that were good and spending time saving/salvaging another dozen, I want to keep most of them.I can certainly understand your jumping ship, though, and I've heard very good things about the new Sony cameras. Good luck with it.
mtngal: Could you expand just a bit as to why you were having such a problem with your K10D and not with your K20D? (BTW, congrats on the K20D). Since the K10D was supposed to be such a great camera, I'm just curious as how the new one makes so much difference. Was it a case of your K10D being "defective" or "inconsistent"? I have the K100D and really like it. Thanks.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:15 AM   #16

My particular K10 was an early model, and some people had trouble right off with the auto focus not being consistent (as I recall, that was one of Tom's biggest complaints). Mine seemed to be fine in the beginning, though it's always had a tendency to backfocus. From the charts I shot, I figured that mine would meet specs (barely) and there was no point in sending it back for calibration. And many of my shots are with manual lenses. However, its become really inconsistent now - sometimes it will say that it has focus when it really doesn't and everything is fuzzy. It's much worse with the DA*50-135, to the point I was ready to send the lens back as being defective, until I tried it on the K100 and discovered that it was right on with it, and a lovely lens.

I shot a bunch of pictures yesterday that were more comparison shots. I actually stood in one place and switched the lens back and forth between the two cameras. A couple of times the K10 couldn't find the focus when it should have, while the K20 had no problems. It only once indicated focus when it didn't have it. Where the focus wasn't an issue, the two pictures would look very similar until you looked at them 100% (then you see the extra resolution that you get with the K20).

Up until I got the K20, I had been thinking that the problem was me - I must be contributing camera shake to cause the occasional blurriness (even when the shutter speed was fast enough that I could hand-hold it). Or that the wrong focus was caused because the camera had focused on the wrong thing (which of course, does happen), and so on.

So I don't think the K10 is suddenly a lousy camera - I've taken hundreds of wonderful pictures with mine. I just think my particular one has an AFproblem that could probably be fixed if I were to send it in for repair. Since its no longer under warranty, I chose to replace it instead of paying to get it repaired.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:01 AM   #17

Actually the focus issue was my only complaint with my K10D (I had two of them) and after the second one I finally sold it and now only use my istDS. The DS has always been right on focus wise, a bit slow but always accurate with all my lenses even M42 screw mount lenses.

I am just hanging in there watching how the K20D works out for others before I decide if I am going to get one or wait for the next camera from Pentax. I could use a bit more MP than the 6MP in the DS, but it does the job for now and it is the champ at preserving the highlights in every photo I take. It also is TTL, so I can use my old AF500Ftz flash units with it instead of having to upgrade to PTTL.

I had two early versions of the K10D like Harriet, so that my have been the problem and the focus issue may have been fixed with the later ones.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:36 PM   #18

Paul. there is no excuse forbeing senta dirty camera. From whom did you get it? It sounds like you might have gotten a demo or a returned item, rather than one that wasin an unopened box. These cameras are supposed to be assembled under "clean room" conditions, so thesensor should not have been so dirty, unless the body was sitting around somewhere without a body cap in place - was there one on the body when you received it? As for the dirty contacts, could the lens you first mounted on it have been an old one that might have been soiled from use and transferred contamination to the camera contacts?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:16 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm having a ball withmy K20-I've hadseveral months of thinking that there had to be something wrong with me and my photography skills because so many of my K10 pictures were either focused wrong or completely blurry.
Strange, 'cause I don't seem to have encountered this.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:49 PM   #20

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Paul. there is no excuse forbeing senta dirty camera. From whom did you get it? It sounds like you might have gotten a demo or a returned item, rather than one that wasin an unopened box. These cameras are supposed to be assembled under "clean room" conditions, so thesensor should not have been so dirty, unless the body was sitting around somewhere without a body cap in place - was there one on the body when you received it? As for the dirty contacts, could the lens you first mounted on it have been an old one that might have been soiled from use and transferred contamination to the camera contacts?
penolta, I bought the camera from cameta, and it came sealed with Pentax factory seal, so the dirty sensor is hard to explain (and yes, it came with body cap installed). I suppose it is possible that one of the lenses I first mounted on it might have had dirty contacts and transferred the contaminatin to the camera, although I've never had problems with the contacts on my K10 with any of the same lenses.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote