Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:03 PM   #21

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
penolta wrote:
Quote:
Paul. there is no excuse forbeing senta dirty camera. From whom did you get it? It sounds like you might have gotten a demo or a returned item, rather than one that wasin an unopened box. These cameras are supposed to be assembled under "clean room" conditions, so thesensor should not have been so dirty, unless the body was sitting around somewhere without a body cap in place - was there one on the body when you received it? As for the dirty contacts, could the lens you first mounted on it have been an old one that might have been soiled from use and transferred contamination to the camera contacts?
penolta, I bought the camera from cameta, and it came sealed with Pentax factory seal, so the dirty sensor is hard to explain (and yes, it came with body cap installed). I suppose it is possible that one of the lenses I first mounted on it might have had dirty contacts and transferred the contaminatin to the camera, although I've never had problems with the contacts on my K10 with any of the same lenses.

Paul
Been following this for a while and want to say that you might want to do the same white cloth test on not only the camera but the lenses as well. Also the lens caps should be looked at...Sure the likely hood of the lens being dirty is not very good but to be on the safe side I would do that Paul! Terry too bad you got some lemons....Still be looking forward to a post from you every now and then...Harriet...I got a later K10D and it does have a problem every now and then of back focusing. I shoot more in manual mode and the problem goes away....Be waiting till the K30D comes out and I can afford a K20D to see if it helps!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:14 PM   #22

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
penolta, I bought the camera from cameta, and it came sealed with Pentax factory seal, so the dirty sensor is hard to explain (and yes, it came with body cap installed). I suppose it is possible that one of the lenses I first mounted on it might have had dirty contacts and transferred the contaminatin to the camera, although I've never had problems with the contacts on my K10 with any of the same lenses.

Paul
Hmmmm. Any little kids around that could have been playing with it? :?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:14 PM   #23

Paul, I'm glad your cam is working now.

Nothing like geting a premium piece of rquipment that doesn't perform like it should.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:06 PM   #24

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Been following this for a while and want to say that you might want to do the same white cloth test on not only the camera but the lenses as well. Also the lens caps should be looked at...Sure the likely hood of the lens being dirty is not very good but to be on the safe side I would do that Paul!
That was the first thing I did, dawg....went through every lens and cleaned the contacts to be sure. Didn't see anything resembling the amount of dirt that I got off the camera's contacts, but did pick up a little. I hadn't thought of doing the same thing with the lens caps, but that's the next thing to get cleaned.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:34 AM   #25

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Been following this for a while and want to say that you might want to do the same white cloth test on not only the camera but the lenses as well. Also the lens caps should be looked at...Sure the likely hood of the lens being dirty is not very good but to be on the safe side I would do that Paul!
That was the first thing I did, dawg....went through every lens and cleaned the contacts to be sure. Didn't see anything resembling the amount of dirt that I got off the camera's contacts, but did pick up a little. I hadn't thought of doing the same thing with the lens caps, but that's the next thing to get cleaned.
I'm pretty much a slob with my cameras and lenses Paul...But the wife goes through them for me about once a month...she gets tired of me cussin' everytime one is malfunctioning because of uncleanliness!! Ain't love grand!! LOL

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:37 AM   #26

Well, the saga of seeing if the new K20 was going to settle down and the shutter work properly is an apparent end with the conclusion being that I have a bad camera that's going to have to go back. I got it back to working for a couple of days, but it began to fail again and now will work properly for only a few shots at a time. It goes back for exchange this week.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:24 PM   #27

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that the problem hasn't cleared up permanently. You did give a good effort to try to resolve it. I think that with the percentage of happy new owners that I've seen, that your chances of getting a good one in the exchange are high. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya, but at least you know that all your lenses are clean now. . .:roll:

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:52 PM   #28

I'm sorry that yours has a problem - that's a bummer all right. I've been so happy with mine, I want everyone else to "share the love" too. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the replacement will be as perfect as mine seems to be so far.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:00 PM   #29

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, my K20 is going to have to go back. The shutter will stick open every few shots, and the only way I can get it to reset is to take the battery out. It's a shame because the shots I've taken with it are really spectacular.
Well, I am having the same problem, not only that, this is the second K20D body I have been sent with the same problem as you descibe, the first time the problem happened within 2 days of arriving. It will only work again if I remove battery. I was beginning to think it was me, that I was doing something wrong when this one started after a month of use.

I also have the K10D, which has caused me no probs at all.

I am really fed up big time with this second K20D body having same problem, as everyone says the images are fantastic.

morveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:21 PM   #30

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry to hear of your troubles with teh K20D. I've been using a K20D since June 2008 and have not had any issues at all! Re. returns, probably a slim chance you can return it for a refund after 3 months. Not sure what the standard in the UK is, but the best of the return policies in the US is 30 days (at Amazon.com). You may have to send it it for warranty service instead. Then again, you may ask the retailer if he/she would invest in your goodwill and agree to an exchange...you never know.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote