Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:36 PM   #31

Hmmm...
looks like I missed out on this thread when it started last year.
I had a similar problem with my Samsung (one of the three bodies I went through before the finally refunded my money) it only happened once and yes I had to remove the battery to get it to reset. it never happened again but, I only had it another week before it went completely wacko!

Morvren, sorry to hear your having trouble with yours and hope you can get it resolved quickly, if you do end up having to get a refund I sure hope Pentax is better than Samsung is with the way they handle there refunds, it took 4 months to get a check from them after they desided to issue one!
best of luck to you girl.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:19 PM   #32

It's always discouraging to hear of problems with highly regarded cameras. For whatever it's worth, Pentax/Samsung is not alone in producing a few bloopers. I'm sure may people here visit the Luminous Landscape site, and the author of that web site reported that 25% of the Canon 5D mark II cameras that people brought on his recent trip to Antarctica failed. The reviews of that camera have been stellar, and yet 25% of those on that trip failed. Imagine taking a photo trip to the bottom of the world and having your camera body malfunction! At the very least, the stories being bandied around here teach the lesson that if you're going on a major trip, you'll be well served to bring two camera bodies.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:11 PM   #33

Since it was my problem with a K20 that started this thread such a long time ago, it's only appropriate that I update. The shutter problem has returned only once or twice in something near 50k shutter clicks, but the camera will go back to Pentax for another problem in early March.

The SDM motor control has stopped working, rendering my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM an expensive MF lens. While the Pentax DA*50*135 has dual controls and will focus with the body motor, it's slow and noisy. I have to shoot a wedding in early March and will wait to send it back till after that

I love the camera's performance. Its dependability has left something to be desired.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:52 AM   #34

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Since it was my problem with a K20 that started this thread such a long time ago, it's only appropriate that I update. The shutter problem has returned only once or twice in something near 50k shutter clicks, but the camera will go back to Pentax for another problem in early March.

The SDM motor control has stopped working, rendering my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM an expensive MF lens. While the Pentax DA*50*135 has dual controls and will focus with the body motor, it's slow and noisy. I have to shoot a wedding in early March and will wait to send it back till after that

I love the camera's performance. Its dependability has left something to be desired.

Paul
I hope that the folks from Pentax (now Hoya Corp) are monitoring discussion threads such as these.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:33 AM   #35

Terry- hope things work out for you.So far...touch wood...my K10D has been great and so have the other Pentaxes I've had since '68. I have had difficulty with many Sony products (not cameras) to the point that I avoid the brand.

But if I had the difficulties you have had with two Pentaxes in a row, I think I would look elsewhere too.

I would probably go with the Canon 50D.

Good luck and keep snapping.:|
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote