Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   K20D Shutter Problem (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/139351-k20d-shutter-problem.html)

Trojansoc Apr 4, 2008 5:16 PM

Unfortunately, my K20 is going to have to go back.:mad: The shutter will stick open every few shots, and the only way I can get it to reset is to take the battery out. It's a shame because the shots I've taken with it are really spectacular.

simowills Apr 4, 2008 6:29 PM

Dohhh !:(

mtngal Apr 4, 2008 6:51 PM

Well, that's a big bummer! I hope you get a replacement very quickly. So far I haven't had anything like that with mine (though I've only played with it). I really like the default settings (though I changed it to ****) - think I'll shoot that way for a while.

snostorm Apr 4, 2008 7:47 PM

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, my K20 is going to have to go back.*:mad:** The shutter will stick open every few shots, and the only way I can get it to reset is to take the battery out.* It's a shame because the shots I've taken with it are really spectacular.
Hi Paul,

Something similar happened with mine when I first got it. I'll be [email protected] if I can remember what lens it was, but after switching lenses and wiping all the contacts, it stopped, and now all my lenses have worked fine for about 3000 shots.

I don't know if it's the same problem though -- I just had to turn the power switch off to reset everything.

Scott

ennacac Apr 4, 2008 9:44 PM

Wow, that is two K20D's that need to go back on this forum, that isn't good.

Tom

Trojansoc Apr 4, 2008 11:44 PM

snostorm wrote:
Quote:

Hi Paul,

Something similar happened with mine when I first got it. I'll be [email protected] if I can remember what lens it was, but after switching lenses and wiping all the contacts, it stopped, and now all my lenses have worked fine for about 3000 shots.

That's a good suggestion. I'll try it tomorrow. The guy I talked to at Pentax Tech Support was most worried about the fact that I had to remove the battery to reset it, too.

Paul

2many Apr 5, 2008 1:10 PM

Yes mine is in the box, waiting on ups to pick it up. I am not getting a replacement just a refund. Sorry to say this is the second Pentax I have had problems with, my K100 had to have the shutter replaced after only 50 shots.

I have sold most of my pentax lenses, and am now awaiting the new sony 350.

And yes I will have to get a new hat.

Trojansoc Apr 5, 2008 1:56 PM

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

snostorm wrote:
Quote:

Hi Paul,

That's a good suggestion. I'll try it tomorrow. The guy I talked to at Pentax Tech Support was most worried about the fact that I had to remove the battery to reset it, too.

Paul
Scott,

Your suggestion may have just turned out to be the winner. As I thought about the question, there was another piece of evidence that would suggest a dust problem during manufacture. I checked the dust on the sensor just after getting the camera and it was filthy. A little work with the blower took care of it and I put it out of mind.

This morning, I cleaned the contacts on the front of the camera, and my alcohol pad literally came back gray. I also cleaned the contacts on a couple of lenses and tried them. Since then, I have not been able to make it fail again, including extended shots in continuous shooting modes.

No guarantee that it will continue to work, but things look good right now. Should this prove to be the fix, it might be something other K20D buyers need to be on the lookout for. I w9ill update the results in a couple of days.

Paul

NonEntity1 Apr 6, 2008 12:57 AM

Sorry to hear that Terry. I can't blame you after two bad experiences, though for me how quickly a company made things right would be a major factor in my confidence in them. My understanding is that electronic equipment that fails will generally fail at the very beginning and, if not, give good service for its lifepsan. Good shooting with the new camera, the Sony's seem to get good reviews too (though I have yet to see a really bad review of a Dslr).

Paul, glad to hear things are looking to be OK. I would sure wring that sucker out over the next couple of months and make sure the problem does not reappear though.

Knock on wood, no mechanical problems with mine yet, but I have made a mental note of your solution.

Tim

2many Apr 6, 2008 1:42 AM

Tim,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I will still be around, I will drop in here from time to time and check everyone out.