Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1

I happened to be in San Diego on business and while there I thought that I would try my hand at a night cityscape. I had run across a number of really great photos from others of the same scene and wanted to see what I could do. This is from Coronado Island's ferry dock, downtown. My K100D with the Pentax 16-45, f4 at a 1/2 second using ISO 800, on a 3 image panorama, cropped - and I actually packed my tripod and took it with me. I probably should denoise it, but I have not gotten there yet.
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:03 AM   #2

While there, the Spanish Navy Sail Training Ship, Juan Sebastian de Elcano was moored down on the waterfront. So, I also tried my hand at some night photography of the ship...
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:38 AM   #3

The next day she put out to sea, I just happened to be down at the beach around 6pm. Here she is as she is exiting the harbor. At 300mm, cropped, resized and enhanced....
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:11 AM   #4

These three are really nice, but the second one is really awesome! Definitely my favorite! Hope you are enjoying San Diego.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:45 AM   #5

Here is another one of downtown. The primary difference is its a single image, and done at ISO 200, with some cropping along with resizing.
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:07 AM   #6

Since Harriet like the ship so much, I found a better image to post. This one is at ISO 200, and I am trying my hand at touching things up using Photoshop Elements 6 - trying to reduce the noise, with a few other minor adjustments. I used the DA 16-45 lens at f4 and 1/3 second. Actually I had some other views, but I was lazy and did not set up the tripod, so they were not nearly as sharp. I guess I will be traveling with the tripod from now on.

I was starting to get envious of the K20 with all the additional pixels and everything else. However, after seeing these, I am still on the learning curve with the K100 and 6mp, and still very happy.
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:12 PM   #7

I like the first one. It would look really cool above my fireplace! I love San Diego. It and Monterey are my two favorite places.

I'm with you on the K20. I'm enjoying the images coming from it and the extra MP. But, I still need to learn to use my K100 before I ask for a step up.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:07 PM   #8

Very nice couple of pictures! There's no reason to be envious about K20 owners - I'm still keeping my K100 as my second body and getting rid of the K10. I still really like the 6 mp sensor and I've always gotten good pictures from it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:35 PM   #9

So, I have been playing around with Photoshop Elements 6 and BiblePro, going back to the original RAW image, de-noising it, then restitching and cropping. To me, the image looks much better, but here it is again....
Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:09 AM   #10

All of those are very nice IO. When I had to part with one camera to afford the K20d the K100 was the camera I chose to keep. Between your two ships, I think I like the first version, even with the extra noise, better. The golden light bathing the ship and spilling over into the water just seems to fit the subject better than the white light.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote