Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:39 PM   #1

As I said in the thread about drops, my intention Saturday was to find some wildflowers. After I spent some time taking pictures of dew drops, I headed for the Gorman Hills. I stopped by one of the sink ponds at the base of the Gorman Hills and found some interesting birds. All of these pictures were taken at the same pond.

I'm not a true birder - I don't work at it enough. My longest lens is 300mm and it really isn't long enough for the spot where I was. These pictures aren't equal to the quality that is routinely posted here, but they are better than anything I've shot before, especially of egrets. They are just about 100% crops - I love the extra mp you get with the K20.

This is the first time I've ever seen a Cattle Egret, and they are beautiful in breeding plummage.

This is the only picture I took of the Snowy Egret. I don't know why I didn't take more of him.

I didn't crop this one as close -I thought I'd leave the red duck like bird on the far left (is that a cinnamon teal or a ruddy duck?).

I didn't do very well with the Great Egret - and I took quite a few pictures of him/her. They were all about the same, this is a little better than the others. The breeding plummage is really awesome on this stately bird (and notice how windy it was!).

Another picture of the Great Egret, along with what I think is a Black Crowned Night Heron. They were so far away, and the Egrets are so spectacular, I almost missed them. I did miss the second Heron until I looked at the picture on the monitor.

This was the best I could do of the Herons by themselves.

The problem with birds is that no matter how long of a lens you have, you are always left wanting more!

As I was about to drive off, I looked back at the fence between the road and the property the pond is on. I took this one as a parting shot.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:32 PM   #2

I like these Harriet. I never seem to get a chance to shoot the larger birds...And you are right...No matter how long a lens you have you wind up wanting and needing a longer one all the time!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:19 PM   #3

Thanks, Dawg - I know they are average at best, but they are better than what I've managed before.

I also took this picture later on (the Grebes I also took pictures of were too far away). I thought this was a rather funny thief, making off with someone's chicken livers...

The background is an OOFmountain, not the sky. This is cropped, the original shows the skyline but when you reduce it to fit here, you can't read the Foster Farms label.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:33 AM   #4

Funny shot - that bucket is a real prize for the bird, I'm sure!

Very impressive, mtngal, the amount of detail the K20 resolves.
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5

I love the the thief, the others are quiet good as well, you'll become a "Twitcher" yet. :-)
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:18 PM   #6

A portrait should convey the personality of the portrayed. I think you were quite successful with the last two! The raven is a marvellous capture!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:25 PM   #7

These are pretty good, Harriet, but the raven is a great capture. I love the little guy showing you his best side, too!

When shooting white birds, I usually use spot metering and try to meter on the brightest part of the bird so the whites don't get blown out. A great egret has to be the whitest thing in nature!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:18 PM   #8

These are great, Harriet. And, I love the raven at the end. Why take just a few chicken livers if you can have the whole bucket! I also like the small bird on the wire fence.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:37 PM   #9

For someone who doesnt take a lot of bird pictures, you sure do well with them. Of course the raven is a great capture, but dont overlook the fact you got two black crown night herons in one picture, They dont call them night herons for nothing.

Terry
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:47 PM   #10

So the last one is a raven? I can't tell the difference between a crow and a raven. And I have no idea what the small bird on the barb wire fence is - I think it must be a common bird because I've seen them around before.

The raven was raidingsome trash next to a reservoir that is part of the California Aquaduct system. They don't allow swimming or boats, but they do allow fishing, so I suspect that the chicken liver container hadonce heldsomeone's bait. I was really pleased to have been able to get the picture, since the A300 is a manual focus lens.