Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Hi All,

I've been shooting with a tripod a lot lately, and have been using my ballhead like a gimbal head. I find that this is an ideal inexpensive way to easily control a DSLR with a heavy lens. I realize that for the long term, there may be some wear problems, as I'm stressing the ballhead in a manner it's not designed for, but I'm not much concerned with this, unless it endangers by gear, which I don't think is happening.

Here's what I'm doing: I drop shaft of the ball into the "portrait" position, so the shaft is parallel to the ground. I rotate the tripod ring on the lens so it's on the side of the lens -- the mounted camera is in the "landscape" position. I leave the ball unlocked, with no tension, and leave the pan control of the head unlocked. This allows me to move the camera in two dimensions only, vertically and panning. I don't have to worry about tilting the camera off axis which is a real problem with a heavy lens, and the friction on the ball in this position holds the camera wherever I put it. I'm sure it's not as effortless to maneuver as a true gimbal, but the camera/lens also doesn't need to be balanced to work well as a true gimbal does. If one has a very long lens that's very front heavy, you might have to add some tension, but I think that would be largely offset by the extra mass of the cam/lens.

I'm probably not explaining this well, so I've attached an image of the setup. I got the idea from the Acratech GV2,

http://acratech.net/miva/merchant.mv...Code=Ballheads

and just use my Amvona ATH-A01 and A02 heads. I would not recommend that you try this with a very cheap or lightly rated ballhead, nor one that does not have a very solid QR mount. The Amvonas that I refer to have their version of an Arca Swiss compatible mount, so it's very solid.

Scott

Here's the pic
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:54 PM   #2

I shoot with a tripod alot anymore too.

I've never thought of doing this. How loose is the tension on the ball? And do you leave the Pano base loose too?

I really would like to have a sidekick. Someday soon!

Dennis

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:22 PM   #3

great idea, going to try it
thanks Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:55 PM   #4

Driver3 wrote:
Quote:
I shoot with a tripod alot anymore too.

I've never thought of doing this. How loose is the tension on the ball? And do you leave the Pano base loose too?

I really would like to have a sidekick. Someday soon!
Hi Dennis,

With the SP 300/2.8 (and TCs -- @ 6lbs), I leave the ball unlocked completely, with no pre-tension, and the pano with just a touch of tension. The mass of the cam/lens allows for easy positioning, but the friction in the system maintains camera position very precisely without locking anything down.

I've been playing with the idea of getting a Sidekick (or one of the Jobu gimbals for a couple of years, but the cost and the size have put me off. This works well enough for me (and is so small and light) that a true gimbal has slipped considerably in my priorities of things that I "need" to get. If I were to find this is too hard on the ballheads I'm using, I'd probably consider the Acratech GV-2 before buying one of the high-end gimbals, mostly for the size and weight considerations.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote